Thread: Weird toolpaths from Aspire

Default Weird toolpaths from Aspire

I just purchased Aspire and the goal of my this purchase is to reduce machining time with these 3D parts by using the offset toolpath instead of the raster. Well, when I run the raster toolpath it works great, but takes forever. When I run the offset toolpath, I get jagged lines/distortions that mess up the final product. Do you guys have any ideas what could be causing the issue?
    Raster at 45degrees.JPG
    Offset.JPG

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul,

The offset strategy is a real conundrum. While it would save time and be the optimal way of doing things like this (bowls and platters that I've done also), vertical walls and top edges tend to cut that way due to resolution or pixel size as the path travels along the models edge and top. The only way I've found to alleviate the situation is to set the model resolution to at least 'Very High' or by holding 'Shift' when creating a new file or 'Set Job Dimension/Origin' and choose 'Extremely High' or 'Maximum'. That should make it better, but I've still seen it happen on the top rim of bowls and platters. I usually just give up and go with the raster if I can't get it to work good enough.

Another thing you could try is to add a slight draft with the new draft tool and see if that helps also.

That's the best I can explain it, perhaps someone from Vectric could clarify.
    Scott

Looking at those previews you've got the part taking up a very small part of the material. It's always best to create the models using material sizes as close to the model size as possible to maximise the number of pixels available.

Paul:

Another trick is to offset your inner and outer vectors by a very small fraction (like .01) and keep the relief cutting within those boundaries. Then cut the part out by cutting around the original boundary vectors.

When you do the raster do it at 90% to what you have it set at and see what happens. It should help with the time

Thanks guys for all the help. I just got swamped with a big purchase order, so as soon as I get caught up with that then I'll play around with Aspire some more and let you know my results.