Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indexer attachment

Regarding material length, if i am designing something 12" long then i leave myself at least 1" at the top and bottom and set your start point at that 1" from your chuck so as to preclude any bit hitting anything.

Once you do that you will always have enough material to hold your stock. You might want to post a picture of what you are trying to make so i can better understand what you are doing.
    Your design should NOT go all the way to centerline, without adequate support it will just break.
    On most carving designs your depth of cut is usually the same as if you were carving something flat on your table. The only time you will cut way below the surface is if you are making something like tenons on the ends of your material like for balusters.
    You would then want to look into some type of "thin stock support" and when you need advice i have a nifty gadget you can use ( a kids skate). see pic

Do you just go modify your designs so that they are short by 1/4", and you wind up cutting off a 1/2" thick (if it is milled 1/4" short on both sides of the centerline, it SHOULD leave a 1/2" thick stub, right?) And: Is that enough in a slow turn situation with little material being taken off?)

Now ask yourself, if i'm not making this (.5" stub) part of the design of the part, like a tenon, then why cut it down to .5" in the fist place? Just take your part over and cut your ends off at the bandsaw or tablesaw but leave them big and you have no concerns about breakage.
    The problem you have is both downward pressure from the bit and lateral pressure from the tailstock pushing the material to hold it tight will allow it to break.

What if I can't get that onto the bed of the machine? What is my stock is blocking that?

The wooden jig that i made is the height from the bed of the aluminum plate to the centerline of the shaft on my indexer. I can usually turn the jig longwise (in the X) even with 3"-4" stock in the chuck and still get a Zzero.

If not then move your indexer down the aluminum rail to give yourself about an 1 to 1.5" behind the back of the indexer and you can use that space to Z to even with material chucked up (I forget to Zzero many times till AFTER i have material in chuck).

The drawback is you lose that 1.5" in length of stock you can use in your Y direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

OK... after a few hours of being frustrated, I realized that the info that Randall Newcomb put out- with a lot of Jack and other people's info on it- did not specifically call out /discuss/ make abundantly clear to the folks who are "indexer challenged" like me... ( at least it wasn't so glaring to me that it registered with this particular stupid twit ) a note regarding using the INDEXER POST PROCESSOR!!!! It just didn't occur to me! Wow! How was the machine going to know that I had swapped from programming for 3 axes and had gone to using a fourth??? SHeesh!

Anyway, I was getting movement in my X travel and hitting my limit switch- which was confusing the **** out of me. I checked the file, and all the activity was in the X direction.... and I thought to myself, "Surely I did a 3D Wrapped file! I followed the instructions so closely! This should not have X travel at all, and I don't see ANY B travel... What the heck?" I started looking around and , in a communication from Frank at Shopbot there was a casual mention of the ShopBot INDEXER post processor...! DOH! I am SO like Homer Simpson today! This was a bit of a critical nugget of information for a dummy like me.

OK SO, I am beyond that, now ( and have 20 iterations of files that are now basically useless!) Now I have found one more issue.... I need to know what to set the constant for in my B value. I have a 20 tooth pulley driving a 72 tooth pulley on an Alpha machine ( which I presume to be 7.2 to one, EXCEPT on the indexer which I believe is a direct drive)... so how does one figure out what value to input? I can wait until tomorrow, because I am just about brain dead at this point---- but I'd like to move forward if I can... I will send frank a message now and see if I get a response. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, if I use "JB 180" the machine turns about (ROUGH guess here) 35-40 degrees. I am about to go try to measure it a little more closely, then I am going to mark the center of my 4 x4 in the indexer and try to get better data. Then I will increase the number for the unit value and see if it improves or decreases travel... then I will adjust from there... Anybody with input, please feel free to jump in here!

Thanks so much.

MGM

just go back and load your file back up and REsave it using your indexer PP and overwrite the old file and you should be ok.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

OK. OK. I made an error. I use the Jog commands all the time. SO, when I was seeing what I needed to have for settings, I checked by using the jog command.... I should have used the Move command and set my numbers based off that, then used the multiplier to correct for the jog command.

Once I reset these values, it started behaving itself! Now I need to cure the jitters in the support and start testing...

Wooo Hoooo!