Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Accuracy

Dave
    It's a standard O & M lesson.
    If you asked your people what you said, and they said "right hand" then the message has been received correctly.
    The fact they don't carry out the instruction is another thing entirely.

On one occasion in my flying days, working in very congested airspace, I told the controller I was turning right onto a particular compass heading in 3 minutes.
    3 minutes later I instruct the pilot( I was a navigator) to turn left onto the compass heading, which he duly did.
    A voice from the ground simply said "Oh! that right!"
    This exchange (within the London control zone) must have been heard by many pilots.
    Embarrasing, or what?

...........Mike

Brady, here are a couple of places where you have trashed the choice of tools of folk like me. I have called you on it once before, and you retracted then.

"Even if your machine was perfect, expect it to be out .008 from the start with a standard router." link

"runout compared to PC @ .008" when NEW" link

"a PC has .008" RO right out of the box when new." link

"a factory-fresh PC router has .008" of runout" link Retracted

And then in this thread we again see a statement like "if you are not running a spindle, you are already giving up at least .004-.009" via runout from the router."

If you want to be a tall tree standing out above the forest, you need solid branches to withstand the wind. This is a public forum and if you want credibility you need to be sure that your statements of "fact" can withstand public scrutiny. This little exchange has not been forgotten either.

Gerald,
    Let me just say that I am flattered that you would spend that much energy to make your point.

The day Komo gives up on spindles and goes to Porter Cable routers, will be the day I put up my 5HP. If routers were 'just as good' as spindles, then spindles would no longer exist in the marketplace, except for suckers like me who 'wasted' their money on one. Regardless of what router/spindle/die grinder you use, it makes your ShopBot no more or less valid than the next guy's. Intent is everything. I never come from the standpoint of belittling someone because they have a router. If you believe otherwise, well you'll have to take responsibility for your own beliefs.

Let's get back on topic. The thread is about accuracy. Check your spindle & or router runout as a potential source of slop in the machine.

-Brady

Whilst not wishing to fan the flames, it is quite clear Brady that you did state(in your Jan 6 11.44 post) that by using a router you ARE (not could be) loosing .004/.009 in runout.

No amount of 'spin' will change the meaning of what you wrote...

By the way, I appreciate, as I am sure do many others, the posts made by both Brady and Gerald.

The rigour with which all our posts are scrutinised by others is an important element for the on going value of this forum.

Thanks again for all your posts to date.

Steve

OK. I'm wrong, you're right.

Now let's move on.

-Brady

My Jan 6 11.44 post is prefaced by the words 'in theory' and 'theoretical'. No spinning necessary. The definition of the word 'theoretical' is not synonymous with the word 'absolute', and affords a certain amount of latitude when explaining something. This is why we have the word, 'theory' in our language. Omitting relevant words that modify the meaning of a post when quoting, is like tabloids when they don't tell the whole story.

Mike, my apologies for my contribution towards the fracas in your thread.

I think we need a standard .sbp "test file" that each of us can run on our own machines, where we can then measure and compare real results with each other and against factory specs. For example, how about a file that simply cuts four 2 inch wheels nested in a tight pattern on a 5"x5" square piece of 3/4" MDF. The cutting is only 5/8" deep max, all with a 1/2" cutter. Simple stuff - but, the file must cut two wheels as conventional and two wheels as climb-cut. Also, the file must contain different speeds (light and heavy cutter loads). And we need helical entries for those wanting to keep plunge loads light.

Should we have such a "standard" testpiece, then we can take a digital caliper and compare the roundness and diameters of the wheels, also on the diagonals. All the deviations measured off the theoretical 2" diameter would be attributable to "accuracy".

I think that we could have some fun designing such a test.sbp file and running it all over the world and then comparing results. We could have a standard table of measurements to fill in and our resident programmers could give us a little utility that reads our results table and then tells us things out our flex, squareness, backlash, cut width (bit diam/runout).

A test.sbp would need to be in an inch and a millimeter version. We need to agree on the measuring instrument (probably a 6" digital caliper) that would give consistent results for everyone.

Anyway, I just wanted to plant this seed of thought for the guys wanting something to do while their shops are too cold to work in........design a simple test-piece that anybody can run run anywhere. (similar to the test page of a printer?)

What do you mean,cold?
    I would tell you what it was like outside, but all the windows are frozen over, and I can not see out. Rumour has it, it's around -17ºC (7ºF) outside!
    Run that plan about moving to Africa by me again.

Support Guest

Thread closed while admin tries to sort out useful info from the rest.