Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Drag Bit

Default Diamond Drag Bit

I would like suggestions on diamond drag bits. I don't have my ShopBot Buddy yet (but in 2 weeks....). One of the first things I want to do is create an LED edge lit acrylic panel for a night light for my grandson. I would like to use a diamond drag bit for this one based on what I have seen and the comments I have read in the forum. I have looked at a few but with zero experience with the ShopBot I am a bit in the dark. So far the one that looks good to me is at usroutertools.com. Initial price is not cheap but replaceable diamond drag tips are only about twenty bucks. Anyone have experience with this one:
    http://www.usroutertools.com/product...dmnd_engrv.htm ? I expect to do a fair number of these on cast acrylic sheets. Other suggestions on drag bits would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Made & sold by WidgetWorks - SB also sells them.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I just got started with the edge lit acrylic thing and it truly is a blast.
    The diamond drag is not going to cut deep enough to give a nice bright image. On larger stuff a 90 degree vee cutter works well if you are going to try smaller stuff use a 60 degree.

I am having good success cutting 3D images. The trick is to blow air on the cutting bit at all times. This also cools the plastic. I made a blower out of some 1/4 inch steel brake line (NAPA sells it) and 3/8 inch poly flow tube from Lowes forced over it.

Clockit sells clock motors and EBay has all of the rest of the stuff you need.

Quote Originally Posted by tlempicke View Post
    I just got started with the edge lit acrylic thing and it truly is a blast.
    The diamond drag is not going to cut deep enough to give a nice bright image. On larger stuff a 90 degree vee cutter works well if you are going to try smaller stuff use a 60 degree.

I am having good success cutting 3D images. The trick is to blow air on the cutting bit at all times. This also cools the plastic. I made a blower out of some 1/4 inch steel brake line (NAPA sells it) and 3/8 inch poly flow tube from Lowes forced over it.
    Clockit sells clock motors and EBay has all of the rest of the stuff you need.
    Could you post a picture of this?

I would suggest you use the v-carve strategy and set max cut depth at about 1/4 or 1/8 inch depending on material thickness. I have been using 1/2 lexan and turns out nice after u torch the edge where led is placed. Lexan carves like wood... on cnc, shaper, table saw, etc.

Actually, there is a gentleman over on the Vectric forum that is doing excellent edge-lit acrylic pieces with a diamond drag bit - he even quit using v-bits, as he says he gets much better detail with the drag bit.

I haven't tried it with a drag bit, yet, but certainly plan to.

I've done several V-Carving the patterns, but I find that the deeper I go, the more the design blocks the light from the edge...
    Ron Sloan

no need for diamond. I just had a carbide bit ground to a point and it works well. dirt cheap too.

Thanks everyone. I have decided to order the diamond drag bit.... ordered it from USRouter tools. Same price, free shipping This will give me a chance to experiment once I get the ShopBot, and with different materials. I like the opportunity of experimenting with both the drag bit and the V-bits. Once I get some hours with these under my belt, I will post at least one acrylic carve..... same design, one with drag bit and one with V-bit. Thanks everyone.

I might be the guy from Vectric forum, too late to save you some $$ on the bit, one I use is less than half the price, but check this thread if you want to glean more info on acrylic & drag bits, and edge lit signs in general.
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17065

I think you will see diamond cut designs are plenty bright enough. Considering that all you need is a scratch to light up, anything much more is overkill, in my opinion.
    Deeper cuts with spinning bits not only produce more friction which causes melting, but also you lose detail the deeper you cut with a vbit.
    You get stellar detail with diamond bits, far superior to v bits ... And the thing I like best is they completely eliminate any melting issues. Also, saves wear and tear on the router, a considerable benefit if you cut alot of plexi like me.
    I have probably done about 40 cuts since I got my bit and the original tip is still going strong, so they appear to stand up to wear & tear quite good. Have also experimented etching metal and marble, with promising results.

But by all means, if you haven't experimented with either, use them both. You have to know what they both are capable of in order to gauge their potential use to you. Personally, for my style of plexi cutting, I see no reason to ever use a vbit again, their main use will be for mdf cutting.

Thanks, Doug!!