Thread: Board capabilities?

Default Board capabilities?

Hi, I just started working for a shop that has a ShopBot. They use it for basic cutting and sign making. I want to see how far we can take this existing hardware. Like adding a second device on the Z axis or an indexer or something.

So the question is, is there a place I can get the capabilities of each model board. For example, they have 4 drivers on it now, can I add a 5th. The documentation in the manual seems pretty generic and I wonder if they didn't print it for all models at the time. So I want to be certain the board is actually capable of a 5th drive and the extra pins on the board are enabled. i.e. was the 5th driver always enabled in the firmware, any limitations, etc.

Here's what I have on the board:
    PRTA000121004
    p/n 001003-01 V0.6

Any info you have would be a great start! Thanks!

OK, since I'm not getting many answers, does anyone have an Alpha model with 5 drivers in it? If so, can you tell me which version is on the board?

Is this what your box looks like?

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eric,
    The Alpha will support 5 channels. In some cases, multiple motors on a single channel (like the X motors on Channel 1) - there are no restrictions with the processor board - it supports all of the channels & all configurations can be done in SB3.

I'd be really careful about fooling around with the board and processor if you like to tinker...they are pretty robust against stupid mistakes when it comes to wiring, but there really isn't too much in the control box relevant to 'upgrading' aside from wiring in the driver, attaching a ribbon cable to the driver channel header and pushing the motor cable out of the box.

If you are the new guy responsible for maintaining the machine, close the control box, clean the machine, lube all gear racks, change the pinion gears and flatten the table top surface. Check for play in all axes and adjust as necessary. If it's a PRT 3.5 turns on the motor turnbuckles is the correct tension - and if it's a PRT, dress the rails with a bastard file and brown scotch pad to take the burr off the bottom of the pyramid.

Close SB3 & run SpeedTest.exe in the SB3/Diagnostics folder. If you are better than 70% you are good. If less, get a USB self-powered hub, plug it into the computer, plug bot into that. Run again to see if efficiency improved. It should have.

That should get you started...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Eric...

Brady knows. But we can demystify some of it! I've attached some photos that might help. Disclaimer... My experience is limited to my machine!

SG

And some more...