Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: great price on 0-flute bits.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Make sure you bargain hunters REMEMBER that they are odd sized etc. I don't want to see you posting that your parts are suddenly +/- spec because the tool is not defined correctly in your tool database or you pulled the wrong size from the bin.

As they say, everything has a price...'Bargain' is all relative.

-B
    That sounds like something a parent would say to their child when purchasing their first car. I'm pretty sure we are not all naive teenagers and know that Onsrud are listing them due to various reasons like odd sizing (which they clearly state in the description). If it was an unknown business listing them cheaply I would be more cautious but because it is Onsrud I feel more than confident the product I'm getting is up to quality standards.

Due to how many 7/32 bits I've bought (all on a 1/4 shank), I now cut the majority of my wood based on those specs. I know at the end of the day that purchasing them saved me thousands of dollars and that I got a 'Bargain' from my smart move. Why pay full price when some of these Onsrud bits will perform just as good if not better at a much cheaper price?

Shane.

Shane,
    I occasionally mix a little sarcasm along with the knowledge I share for nothing...What kind of friend would I be if I didn't?

I've gone out to diagnose & machines that were 'cutting oversize' or 'undersize' - only to find that they didn't have the tool defined correctly or inadvertently grabbed the wrong diameter bit. This has happened more than once. Some shops have bits resharpened and have sloppy habits when it comes to keeping track of their resharpened bits. Hence, sometimes off sizes or resharpened bits, when running production, are a false economy - unless you are strict about cataloging your tools.

Your situation is probably different if you have all the control and don't have employees, and are organized enough to know for sure what you are putting in the spindle. There is certainly nothing wrong with paying less for the same product - especially consumables like bits

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

No worries Brady Sorry I must of read your post a different way and missed the sarcasm. I guess us Aussies are currently pretty sensitive on pricing. As we seem to get price gouged by overseas companies a lot and we usually resort to using freight forwarders etc to avoid paying the huge mark ups.

Oh and I once looked at resharpening my bits in Australia. I soon quickly forgot that idea when I was quoted at least $19 a bit to have them resharpened. Cheaper and quicker to buy brand new bits from America.

Shane.

You do need a metric collet for those bits I posted. the 1/4" collet will not tight up. but it is still cheaper so not a big deal.

I occasionally mix a little sarcasm along with the knowledge I share for nothing...What kind of friend would I be if I didn't?

That's why we like you!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I ended up buying a number of bits from this supplier. One of them, a 3mm super O single flute cutter (sort of a 1/4" shank) I used with great success yesterday cutting 6061 T1 aluminum.

I was making some very small parts (less than 1" and 1/16" thick) that required high accuracy. I tried first with a 1/8" double flute upcut but that bit got fouled badly and did a really poor job. The second bit I tried was one of the "eBay bits" and it did a lot better. What really surprised me is the sound the bit made while cutting. It was more of a low purr than a high squeal like the double flute bit made. There was very little bit deflection thanks to the 1/4" shank.

I used .003 as the chip load which resulted in .7 in/sec. I used .6 in/sec, 14k rpm to up the quality of the cut and of course, ramped everything. The bit was clean after the cuts and cool to the touch. Excellent, especially considering the bit was less than $3.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Missed the 10 minute edit rule...

Here's a picture: