Thread: Control Box mounting help

Default Control Box mounting help

I would like to see pictures of how you mounted your control box if the following describes your installation.....

PRSalpha
    New style control box with the four tabs for mounting welded up front close to the control box door. (NOT on the rear of the control box)
    You received a bag of hardware labeled control box mounting hardware.
    Your control box has the key switch to disable the spindle and the key is attached to the spindle wrench.

If you would please send me a picture or two of how you have your control box mounted.

Thanks so much.

I've got one of those and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how those brackets were meant to work and, as you've probably found out by now, the instructions don't make any mention of the recent changes.

Given the tight deadline I'm on and the time difference between the UK and the US for support I just mounted it between the top and bottom rail on the left hand side of the bot. With the way my bot is positioned in the shop that is actually the front.

I had to use smaller bolts in the bottom rail to drop it down slightly as the control box is bigger than the gap between the rails. I presume the previous version wasn't as that's where it's shown as being mounted in the instructions.

Ideally I would have liked to wall mount it but with the brackets on the front and the large heatsink on the back I couldn't see an obvious way of doing it without building some sort of frame.

Thanks Adrian,

Yes, you and I had/have the same problem and solution.

I will contact ShopBot Monday and let them know.

UPDATE-
    ShopBot support responded today! Sunday AM. If anyone ever wonders if ShopBot has good support, never give that another thought. I have needed to ask questions twice in 4 years over the weekend. Both times I got a reply very quickly and on a Sunday to boot.

OK Adrian, here is the story on the mounting. I cannot believe I didn't figure this out on my own.

From ShopBot Support-
    The box will be mounted underneath your tableside and next to the leg closest to 0,0. It is mounted using three tabs. The upper two tabs mount to the Z shaped brackets. The side of the bracket with two holes will attach to the inside of your tableside in the lowest t-slot. You will use the qty 4, 5/16" t-nuts with a ball detent, they are designed to rock into the t-slot, so you don't have to slide them in from the end of your already assembled table. Fasten the brackets to the table side using the qty 4, 5/16" button headed cap screws with the leg of the bracket with 1 hole hanging below the table side. The upper two tabs of the control box will mount into the exposed 3/8" hole in the other side of these Z shaped brackets using 5/16" button headed cap screws and nylock nuts.

The bottom tab is mounted to the leg using the other bracket, which should have a bend in it and a large 5/8" slot. The 5/8" slot will mount to your leg closest to home position using the 1/2" bolt that should be in the upper hole of your lower cross support. The 3/8" thru hole will then mount to the lower left tab of your box.

My control box is mounted where ShopBot designed it to be and it is very stiff, looks good, works good and is just fantastic.

Pictures to follow.

That explains a lot as I couldn't see how all four tabs could be used.

This makes me feel better about the mod I made as I couldn't have mounted it on the front or back due to clearance issues with the door and other stuff in the shop.