Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDU Prices

Default HDU Prices

HDU is one of the most expensive substrates on the market. It seems that the prices keep bouncing around. I've been searching around and noticed the cost per sheet can vary as much as $50. a sheet.

Should we be sharing this information?

Joe Crumley

The reason is because of the big four, none of them have an MARP that we are aware of. It's buy and sell at your own risk and pricing.

One other thing that can determine the retail price is buying power.

The other thing is local market. Are there other dealers in the area? If not, why be competitive in pricing? No reason for it.

A good percentage of people have no access to HDU dealers what-so-ever (and to the door delivery is out of the question).

Some have access to maybe one supplier, but they have to drive 200 miles to purchase.

Lots of variables in the pricing for such an elusive market. There is no science to it. Like much of everything to do with 3D signs, there is not much science involved..it's 99% art.

Sure would like to see how much others are paying.

My dealer, Reece Sign Supply, is a dealer and delivers in one day at no extra charge. A 1.5" sheet 4X8 sells for $295. I also found this price sheet for Duna.
    Attached Images Attached Images

must be nice to get that stuff sooooo cheap. here where I am add close to 70% I know I could kill it here with signs from this stuff but the cost of that material here makes it hard to do signs
    Vector Studio 22

Mr. Nice:

MARP, is that some miney sota kinda thing? Most At Risk Populations, Mennonite Assoc of Retired Persons, Maximum Allowable Rate of Production?

A few points:

1. Buying power: Who's the best to buy from, an established, proven record company, or a start up that has to drive 1k miles for supplies? What stock do you have on hand, and more importantly how much on hand consistently, $ 1000, 5000?? Either one, IMHO, is not enough, nor would be the wait time for you to drive down and back from Texas to resupply every, what, every month, 2 months?

You want to charge more than anyone else, because no one in the area carries it, that's competition, and you're ok with it? Well, at least you're up front about it, but there are better alternatives than someone that want's their cake, and eat it to; especially to those he may consider friends. Then tell the world about it. It's be interesting to see how far you go with that tude.

2. Access to supplier / have to drive 200 miles to purchase. Bull puckey. Maybe if you were in the middle of Saskatchewan , maybe. Look up common carrier, delivery nation wide, have everything from local independents, to national corps. That doesn't even take into account UPS, FedEx Freight, DHL, etc. If you're afraid of paying a reasonable cost for shipping, and passing the cost on to the customer, you're in the wrong business. Or not charging enough. Or both. How in the world do you think the town supplies come in, on snowmobile??

And in this 'elusive' market, you shop around and get the best rates. Many truckers go one way with a full load and return empty. Those carriers jump at the chance coming back with anything in the trailer, and the rates are the best you can get. BTW, shipping, either from a supplier, or to a customer is a part of doing business and the customer pays for it. Common Carrier, look it up. What's your crating charge, or is that no one else is doing is so... yea, got it.

Variables in pricing in an elusive market: More bull puckey - It's is not an art, it's not science, it's common sense. Some have it, most don't. It's a matter of producing a product, or suppling a product at a reasonable cost with the expectation people will believe a supplier to be fair, consistent with their prices, maintain adequate supplies and deliver within a reasonable time. And these are your friends you want to sell to?

Lastly,can one assume 'It's buy and sell at your own risk and pricing' apply to Nice too? Not reassuring.

There are a lot of talented craftsmen/women out there doing over the top work, some near big cities, some out in the sticks. You don't see them whining....

Joe, thanks for the comparison, those prices reflect those of my supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by maxheadroom View Post
    Mr. Nice:

MARP, is that some miney sota kinda thing? Most At Risk Populations, Mennonite Assoc of Retired Persons, Maximum Allowable Rate of Production?

A few points:

1. Buying power: Who's the best to buy from, an established, proven record company, or a start up that has to drive 1k miles for supplies? What stock do you have on hand, and more importantly how much on hand consistently, $ 1000, 5000?? Either one, IMHO, is not enough, nor would be the wait time for you to drive down and back from Texas to resupply every, what, every month, 2 months?

You want to charge more than anyone else, because no one in the area carries it, that's competition, and you're ok with it? Well, at least you're up front about it, but there are better alternatives than someone that want's their cake, and eat it to; especially to those he may consider friends. Then tell the world about it. It's be interesting to see how far you go with that tude.

2. Access to supplier / have to drive 200 miles to purchase. Bull puckey. Maybe if you were in the middle of Saskatchewan , maybe. Look up common carrier, delivery nation wide, have everything from local independents, to national corps. That doesn't even take into account UPS, FedEx Freight, DHL, etc. If you're afraid of paying a reasonable cost for shipping, and passing the cost on to the customer, you're in the wrong business. Or not charging enough. Or both. How in the world do you think the town supplies come in, on snowmobile??

And in this 'elusive' market, you shop around and get the best rates. Many truckers go one way with a full load and return empty. Those carriers jump at the chance coming back with anything in the trailer, and the rates are the best you can get. BTW, shipping, either from a supplier, or to a customer is a part of doing business and the customer pays for it. Common Carrier, look it up. What's your crating charge, or is that no one else is doing is so... yea, got it.

Variables in pricing in an elusive market: More bull puckey - It's is not an art, it's not science, it's common sense. Some have it, most don't. It's a matter of producing a product, or suppling a product at a reasonable cost with the expectation people will believe a supplier to be fair, consistent with their prices, maintain adequate supplies and deliver within a reasonable time. And these are your friends you want to sell to?

Lastly,can one assume 'It's buy and sell at your own risk and pricing' apply to Nice too? Not reassuring.

There are a lot of talented craftsmen/women out there doing over the top work, some near big cities, some out in the sticks. You don't see them whining....

Joe, thanks for the comparison, those prices reflect those of my supplier.

We have driven 300 miles round trip for HDU since we have been in the sign business. If we want a sheet of HDU tomorrow...it's 300 miles round trip. 1000 miles for a stock pile, won't be all that bad in comparison.

Hello Joe. I have never had any exchanges with you, but I have always greatly enjoyed reading your many fine posts. And I have greatly missed your informative posts for quite a few months. I am sure that there are many people who are happy like I am, that you are back posting here again! Thanks, Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Sure would like to see how much others are paying.

My dealer, Reece Sign Supply, is a dealer and delivers in one day at no extra charge. A 1.5" sheet 4X8 sells for $295. I also found this price sheet for Duna.
    Same prcing here!

Nearest Duna stocking distributor for me is over 200 miles. Of course I can get it delivered, but unlike some other distributors who are that far away but run their own delivery trucks, it has to come in LTL which adds considerably.

MARP: I think MSRP is what was meant (Manufacturers suggested retail price).

So many things vary in price from region to region, and even distributor to distributor for many reasons.

When it comes to costs per sheet I've found "Sign Foam" to be the most expensive. I like their product but you need to purchase 20lb to keep up the Duna"

Designer Board and Precision Board are about neck and neck in pricing and quality. Both are gritty and have problems in holding detail. I've found they price out at $320. a sheet. Another consideration is priming. You'll have considerable time invested with priming.

Of the four materials Duna is far and away the better product.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com