Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminating HDU

Hi Joe- nice stuff. What crack filler are you speaking of? When I google I
    get asphalt crack filler... thinking that that is not it? Thanks Gene

Greetings All,

As we all know, HDU comes if thousands of voids that need to be attended. When using 20lb and higher this isn't as much of a challenge but I've found a thick paste like exterior spackle to be a quick method for filling these voids. Liquid primers are, for me, are waste of time. I often use a window squeete or screen squeege to smooth off flat furfaces. It make the surfaces smooth as a baby's behind. NO SANDING.

The panel below was made with 1" Duna. I like SignFoam as an alternative. My current experiments are with 1" PVC. Looks promising as a tougher and cheaper alternative. It's major downside is sanding.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

joe,
    how long have you been using the exterior spackle?
    is this article wrong?
    http://www.trimlinepaintinginc.com/dont-use-spackle/

Robert,

You should re-read his second paragraph carefully. The complaint is about bridging gaps not filling small holes.

I wouldn't post this technique without being absolutely positive about it's success. Try PB's "Crack Filler". That's necessary when using their HDU.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

I was just going by this paragraph

Spackle is a bad idea for most wall repairs and is always a bad idea for exteriors. I know that you can go to the store and get a jar of this stuff that says “exterior spackle” on the label, but the reality is that there is no such thing as exterior spackle. Regardless of what a products label says there is no good reason to ever buy a jar of exterior spackle nor is it ever a good idea to apply it to an outside. PERIOD!

but i'll take your word for it that it works, thanks.

Robert,

Now you got me laughing. You know, "If it's on the internet it's gotta be true."

Spackle is a German term. It's used to describe a putty, pastes and salves to fill voids. Since you're conducting a workshop and that should be in the course study. This is the stuff everyone needs to know.

Some of excellent materials are. Bondo, Durhams Rockhard Putty, ThinSet and Crack Filler by Coastal, etc. There are many to choose from.

I'd bet you remember my introducing you to "Crack Filler" at on of your workshops and how it's used for texturing . Ok now lets reach for our Thinking Cap.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

I have used Dependable Crack filler on A lot of things. It comes as a powder and you can mix it as thick as you like. Also If you use it make sure you clean up your tools as it will set up under water.

Thats right Jerry,

These materials are as important to our craft as screws and glue.

One of the downfalls to forums where few experienced professional craftmen are sharing information the questions can become tedious and mundane. For that reason I'll refrain from answering questions that can be addressed by others.

Now it's time to head to work. I trust everyone has lots of fun today.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com