Thread: Pocket Problems

Default Pocket Problems

This one has me stumped. I have Artcam 8 (not Artcam 2008). The problem is every time I make a pocket, I am getting a shallow outline around the pocket. I'm sure that this is because Z zero is not dead on, BUT it looks like the tool path that Artcam is generating is calling for many unnecessary steps. I have attached a couple of screenshots of a very simple tool path to illustrate the issue. Bit diameter is .5 in, step over is .25 in. The tool path screenshot has lines that look redundant high lighted in yellow and lines I think I need highlighted in blue. I am running Artcam in Windows 7 in XP compatibility mode. Any help, ideas, suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Those are awfully aggressive speeds for machining such a small area. Try 3 things:

First, reduce your stepover to 40%. Leave it there for all 2D operations. Second, reduce your MS down to say 0.7.0.5 inches per second - Then simulate and run it and see if that cures it. Otherwise, try using an offset pocket strategy instead of a raster one.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks, Brady. I intentionally set the parameters on the example just to get a very short tool path that would exemplify what is happening in "real" situations. My real step over is probably much lower than it needs to be (only 10 %). But I may well be going to fast with the MS- I'll try slowing it down and take your suggestion for the step over. Never tried an offset strategy, but will give that a shot as well. I really appreciate the input!

Bill

Version 8 (from what I remember) had several updates/service releases along the way that fixed little glitches. This could be one of those glitches...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I'll try a search of the Artcam forum and see what I can find on that. I tried a couple of different searches before posting here, but probably didn't use the right phrase to describe what I was looking for. Worse case scenario, I can always edit the toolpath myself. Thanks again, Brady.

Bill