Thread: NeoLucida-a portable camera

Default NeoLucida-a portable camera

I had never heard of the original instrument and i don't know how much it will sell for but i can think of some uses with the shopbot.

Lets say you set up a booth to draw someone then carve it...
    or you go to someones house to replicate some fancy moulding but don't have a 3d scanner...

It looks to me like it is a simple prism but hey, you might find other uses..
    it was at least interesting to learn about.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rce=newsletter
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Wink

This is basically a "camera obscura" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

Its not only been around longer than the camera has, but the effect they are getting can be done with a tiny partially silvered mirror. Plain old window glass will work (about a 1/3 reflectivity), all you need is a sliver, and the whole thing can be built on a shopbot out of scraps. If anybody cares to try this simple version, I will provide instructions.

http://painting.about.com/od/oldmast...a_lucida_2.htm

The enterprising thing is convincing all their investors on kickstarter that its something new or better. Next thing you know they will start selling water in bottles, or air in tanks.

D
    Last edited by dana_swift; 05-09-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add a reference link
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

my son has a drawing toy that i bought for 5 bucks at a flea market that does the exact same thing. Quite frankly if you need such a device to make realistic drawings your a trace-ist not an artist!
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

What about all those famous painters who do just that - take a photo, project it on a canvas and paint an "original" work by what is in truth a form of tracing?

Currently debating this concept internally, as a photographer friend and I are considering generating carvings of his work - is it still artwork if it has been "crafted" with a shopbot from an "original" source ?

jeff

Original Art is just that.

I had a roommate who was a painter who used photos and projectors and when someone called him an artist he explained that he was an illustrator. His work was beautifully done, but he was the first to admit it was all technique.

Creating a 3-d of someone else's art work is (IMHO) Artisan work and not artwork.

There is nothing at all wrong with being an illustrator nor an artisan. They are both noble accomplishments, as all excellent craftsmanship is.

As a cabinet maker/woodworker I have had many people call some of my work "Art". I will usually politely thank them and tell them that I think of myself as a craftsman mostly, and only occasionally design and create a piece that I call art.

Jeff: Don't worry about what you call yourself as long as you are almost happy about the results.

apologies to all if my previous post came off as a bit harsh, (I am the 30 grit in the multi-pack). Skill is skill no matter how you slice it but art is a definition all it self
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

Well since this has turned into a philosophical discussion let me ask this...

Let's say Dave and I both had one of these units and were sitting in front of the mona lisa attempting to draw/copy/replicate what we saw in front of us.

If after we were done I would say that they would probably both look radically different (his probably being much better) since i have no real drawing ability.

Now I would consider this a drawing aid much like a magnifying glass and it won't replace natural talent or ability to draw something freehand.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson