Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummer

Default Bummer

Well, today's delivery of my Buddy BT48 did not go as planned. Despite all the work by the ShopBot team, the delivery service brought the Buddy to me in my residential little cul de sac with a 40 foot trailer. The trailer had a lift gate but the ONE delivery man said the lift gate was so small that he could not get the Buddy off the lift gate and onto the ground. He was an independent who picked up the buddy under the impression this was a business not residential delivery where there would be a dock and a forklift. Plus with his rig so big, he could only put it in the middle of the street IF he could have put it on the ground. So I had to refuse delivery because I had no way of getting this out of the middle of the street and up my 100 foot drive alone. I had planned the delivery would be in the middle of my drive where I could take time to unpack with family coming over in the evening and then wheel it into my garage-shop. Called Martha at ShopBot and like the great folks they are, they are going to get with the shipping company and get this to me as soon as they can. So no pictures today and another several days of wishing it were here!!!

Smile

pobrecito...asi es la vida...
    Vector Studio 22

Joe you might have been OK if you could have slid it to the ground as its a very, very clever box design with a quite sturdy ramp built into one end. Dont be like us though and start madly undoing screws willy nilly! The CORRECT unpacking procedure is in a pouch on the side of the box. We found it after the roof fell in!
    Most delivery guys are solo sadly.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I had the same problem with lift gate on the semi that came to my house on a small cul de sac. Even if the lift gate wood have been large enuff to hold the crate, the lift gate was not rated for weight of container. Shopbot had no way to help, but they refunded my lift gate fee which at the time was about 125 bucks. Driver was laughing his butt off.... until he had to back out of the 1000 foot cul de sac... I got a little chuckle in too.

When I moved my Buddy from Fla. to SC. I found that U Haul had a trailer that was just right for the job. Open with a built in ramp. Couple of different sizes.

Flat bed wreckers work well for loading/unloading semi trailers even with full size assembled shopbots. Back it up to the semi trailer and roll onto wrecker, then the wrecker can let it down right at your garage door. Have used them a couple times, usually $50 to $75.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Ken- that solution is GENIUS! I love it.. that would make it easy to move my buddy to another address. (And other things such as vacuum pumps) Great idea- thanks

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Default unpacked 60x144

I and the truck driver unpack it on the truck. he was having fun?
    look like he wanted to help put it together to :}

I have a forklift at home
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Joe ,I'm sorry to hear that.Know how excited you were.at least you made it home. Scott