Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stair Stringers

Default Stair Stringers

Hi All: I have a wide outdoor deck stair to build with a platform. I can use 2x12 PT 8' long that will fit nicely on my 4x8 PRS Bot. I will be cutting between 8 and 10 stringers, and thought the job would be easy to do with the bot over conventional circular saw and handsaw technique. I have Aspire software, and could use some good pointers on creating the file. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe

Hi Joe ,
    I Have Aspire. I think the easiest way would be to draw 2 lines with your run and your rise on your material and the do a copy for the number of repetitions you need. if you need help send me the rise and the run and I will do it for you. good luck
    Don Roy

Default stairs

Try this way.. you will need to know your angle that the stairs will set. how big your steps will be.. leave room to set stairs against the wall and ground.

be sure to leave meat to give good support.
    this is the way i did one for my self. simple rectangle, and squares.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

you will need to measure the height that you have to go . divide by about 7" of rise then about 10" of run to decide your stringer length.
    I'm assuming that maybe ,you may not need 8' but you can put 8' on your machine. these dimensions should give you your angle automatically,
    maybe I should ask, have you built stringers before and is it just the use of aspire that you are asking about?
    Don

For any stair work take a look at this site
    It's free and well done
    http://www.blocklayer.com/stairs/stairseng.aspx

I've cut 2x6 pressure treated material before to make horse jumps. You need to get the driest PT you can find and then dry it some more. When I tried to cut some of the damper material it bogged down a good deal. Also, I found that a 3/8" roughing bit did the best job of clearing the damp chips.

Default stairs

7 x 11 rise and run is standard, but if you can bump down to 6 x 10 it will leave more material on your 2x12 which is really a 1 1/2 by 11 1/4....

What is the total vertical rise you are looking at ?
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Thanks for the offer of help Donald. I have cut stringers with a framing square and stairs buttons. I have never designed a cut file for them using aspire. Still learning the aspire software. If it's no trouble, I would really appreciate your help creating it. My rise is to be 7.5 and run 10.5. I am building a deck on our country home, and want to have a nice wide stair (six feet wide) 2x12x8 PT will work fine. I may have to field trim them a bit on site. First set of stairs will come down to a platform, then another wide stair. I want to use five stringers for each section of stair, so I would need to cut ten of them. The bot just seems like it would save me a ton of work. You can email me the file at organizeresrcc@verizon.net I am going to listen to you and others on this post, as I really do need to learn this as well. Thanks so much for your kind gesture. Joe.

Thanks Eugene: I will check out your link. Much Appreciated. Joe

Thanks for the link Bob. I will check it out. Joe