Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shopbot ready for its maiden voyage

"decimal points and zeros." Amen! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Ah , just think , in a few days you will be posting " i just broke my first bit " kind of like cutting your baby teeth so many memories

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    Ah , just think , in a few days you will be posting " i just broke my first bit " kind of like cutting your baby teeth so many memories
    I think I learned more by breaking my first bit than I did the previous two months of pouring over written material. Getting into the down and dirty of the machine, breaking some bits and wrecking some material is the best teacher.

Then you'll do your first project where everything works. Great feeling! Amazing capability.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Here's what I wish I knew way before I finally figured it out or found the answer here:

- Immediately look into adjusting your VR settings - I couldn't believe how my new machine slammed and vibrated after executing 90 degree turns. If you do not, it is almost predictable that you'll be posting a question and photos of how rough the corners are after you surface that new table. Read page 42 of the manual as well as Brady Watson's web article on this topic.
    - Be sure to snap your collets positively into the nut if you are using a spindle. They will hold a bit otherwise, but I was just plain lucky I didn't do any damage to the machine or myself running them the wrong way for months on end.

There are numerous super-simple things you'll likely be asking "why is that not documented somewhere???"

As everyone else has stated, just get going - ask for help here, as well as ShopBot support.

You will find yourself quite thrilled as you head down the path of this new way of manufacturing. Your successes will far outweigh any short term frustrations. You likely had grand visions and big ideas about what you could do if you bought a ShopBot - just wait until you get going!!

jeff

Thanks for all the great info and I'm sure after next week I will have a ton of questions. I met TJ at Mcgrews camp and learned alot from him and I have been reading post on here for about a year now so I think I'm prepared for all the mistakes I know I will make.
    Thanks everyone for all the help, Johnny

I was able to cut the shopbot logo and a couple with my name but the problem Im having is every time I go to cut I get a message saying (limit switch hits) I also get ( run time error (5) what am I doing wrong?

Are you sure you have the correct switches checked under the VN comand

Quote Originally Posted by sc.crab View Post
    I was able to cut the shopbot logo and a couple with my name but the problem Im having is every time I go to cut I get a message saying (limit switch hits) I also get ( run time error (5) what am I doing wrong?
    I suggest making sure your table and all moving parts are securely grounded. Double check that your limit proximity switch LED's are on.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I turned off the limits and everything is working fine.

Ahhh, like some one else having a baby. Hope it turns out as good as yours. Listen to the forum and may the force b with u.