Thread: acrilic bonding

Default acrilic bonding

what is the best adhesive for bonding acrilic (plexiglass) ? I would like to keep the seams transparent

Dan
    http://www.curbellplastics.com/adhesives-sealants/solvent-based-adhesives.html
    this link explains the uses for many versions of "weld-on" brand solvents for welding plastics.

if you are welding thick acrylics for something like aquariums, there are epoxies more suitable

SG

thanks steve i checked them out and placed an order

if you have a tap plastics locally you can get it. a small bottle and a needle applier is all you need. make sure your joints fit perfectly there is no gap filling involved. you just put the parts together with some weight and apply some glue along the joint and it wicks in.

The acrylic weld uses capillary action to bond plexiglass pieces together. Best to practice on some scrap first, this stuff flows like water and comes out of the needle tip with the greatest of ease. Though it dries clear, if you get a single drop on any area not meant to receive it, that drop will be permanently visible as an unsightly imperfection.
    I made some donation boxes for a friend with this stuff, it works as advertised as far as actual bonding, but I found it too hard to control to be of much practical use.

The initial experience is as Doug suggests... However, every plastic fabrication shop is full of young women who have mastered the technique in short order! Practice is required however...

SG

Dan,
    All the above is true. I have been doing some medical product fabrication which required a glue with a longer open time in order to get all parts in order and into a clamping jig. After a lot of experimenting I settled on Weld On #16 applied with a large syringe and a #15 blount point needle. This gives you a couple minutes to get things aligned. I clamp for 8-10 minutes and go again. Good luck.

Mark

Default Free tip:

Dan

In a fabrication shop where I worked for a short while, The gals would only roll back about a inch of the paper coating to help minimize damage from solvent drops and getting scratches from the jig... The jigs were designed to accommodate this bunched up paper...

SG