Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo bowl

Default Bamboo bowl

Hey all,

had one of these down @ the so-cal camp. Bowl made from 3 laminated scraps of bamboo plywood. 18" dia., 5 paths, 1/2 straight bit, 1/8 downspiral, and 1.5" core box. about an hour and a half cut time. 2 sided machining with cut3D and Vcarve. The cool thing is that all of the lines and circles are a direct result of the way the material is made in conjunction with the curve of the cut.

anyway, I brought one of them up to give the supplier (www.calibamboo.com I have had nothing but great service and a good relationship with them as a customer [otherwise no affiliation])

they shot me back some professional photos they had taken.

thought I'd share.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

I like it

Will keep in mind the laminated plywood.....nice affect!

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Looks great! Did you have to do a lot of sanding?

I love that bowl!!!

Did you glue up the 3 pieces of bamboo plywood? were they the 3/4 plywood from the company you mentioned and can the plywood be ordered in small quantities from them? I would really like to give it a shot. That one of the nicest bowls I have seem done on a CNC.

Mark

Chris, that is a very beautiful bowl! The design, finish and over-all effect is really quite pleasing.

I have experimented with V-carving some bamboo flooring, and was really positively impressed with how well it machined! I'll have to check and see if there are any bamboo sources in my area.

Thanks for posting, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

chris,
    nice bowl........everything you do is top notch. For once i'd like to see you make something "amateurish" and not so professional. You make us all look bad! another good job!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

to answer;

Paul - a bit. It kind of depends on how long you want to tie up your table. I used a relatively high stepover to keep the cut time shorter. but more sanding. If you bring the stepover down, very little is needed, the material cuts beautifully.

Mark - yup, it is just 3 squares of the 3/4 glued up face to face (while trying to match the grain lines as best I could) as re: calibamboo, they are local to me so I just go pick up what I need from their warehouse. They have a 2 sheet minimum I believe, be warned the stuff is --heavy-- if you need it shipped, but they really are super friendly. just call em up. They do deal with large construction jobs, but I have never felt neglected as a "small timer"
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Chris-- After looking at the calibamboo.com site I see about 7 different types of bamboo 3/4 plywood. Does is matter which one I use? Which one did you use for the bowl?

thanks,
    Mark

Very nice bowl.. I like the pattern on the outer circle.

Mark, I used the carbonized vertical 3/4, but any would work, just depends on the effect you want.