Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo bowl

Thank you Chris. I'm going to give it a try.

Mark

To all Aussies following this fascinating thread you can get the stuff here and it isnt expensive!

http://www.plyco.com.au/index.php?ma...roducts_id=198
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Thanks Bob....was wondering who would have it here.....

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Chris,

I'm fascinated with the Bamboo plywood and have looked at the gallery of things made with it. I can't seem to see what the core is made of from their web site but it looks solid. Your bowl shows the core but it looks as attractive as the rest. Did you apply a stain to the bowl and what type of finish was applied. Is it food safe?

With the bamboo do you have to worry about any warping or twisting of the piece? Have you ever made or seen any signs or plaques made out of it? What is the primary purpose that you buy the bamboo plywood for?
    I think most consumers that care about the green aspect would really like the bamboo.

Sorry for all the questions but can't seem to get this material out of my mind. I get to California once in a while, its only about an 7 hour drive from my house and my wife loves San Diego so may take a trip over to the company to pick up a couple sheets.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Chris, you asked about making other things like signs with bamboo. I got some scrap bamboo strip flooring that was pre-finished, with clear varnish. The material V-carved BEAUTIFULLY. And the varnish job was excellent,so I had to simply wipe on my paint to in-fill the letters, and then the excess wiped off perfectly.

The attached photo shows the plaque I carved for my Mom. (That is one of her favorite Bible verses. The little mitered frame took longer to make and fit than the plaque.)

I also recalled that I had picked up a couple of samples of bamboo flooring maybe 5 or 6 years ago at a home improvement show. It was before I had my Shopbot, but I liked this material for its hardness and finish that I got two 5" long samples. I would assume it would be easy enough to edge joint some of these floor boards and make up a larger blank. I checked, and the company I got the samples from is still in business. www.mymrbamboo.com

Interestingly, of the two samples I have (14mm thick), each seems to be constructed differently. One is clearly like a three layer plywood, with the middle layer being of course laid at 90 degrees to the outer layers. The other sample (also 14mm) appears to be made up with all strands oriented in the same direction, without any evidence of a middle layer!

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

In the recent past I picked up a number of Bamboo cutting boards at closeout prices... I was amazed at the detail I could V carve into them! I tried to find a local supplier of sheet goods to no avail... If anyone picks up some of the multi layered material like Chris made his bowls from, I and I'll bet others would pay for the privilege of buying some 12" squares, or other size that would ship easily!

SG

Howdy friends, shameless self promotion here.

OK, so the piece got entered in a facebook contest with cali-bamboo for their "project of the month". If you have a moment, and feel so inclined, take a look. (and by all means share with anyone who might be interested)

If I get enough likes on the photos of my piece, I get a hefty store credit with them which would be incredibly useful to me, as well as a couple of other nice perks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151662483497326.1073741833.92954277325&ty pe=1

Thanks

Chris
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

and to answer questions;

I used Watco Danish oil on it (about as easy and inert as they come)

I haven't seen any signs of twisting or warping as of yet, but the again this piece is only a couple of months old. The stuff seems pretty stable to me.

I had used the material originally for a store display for a "green" focused company. It's totally sustainable, no VOC, by it's nature LEED compliant, and economically fair as a lot of it is grown in areas that have suffered deforestation in the past and offers a better environmental model than stripping old growth. The kind of bamboo they use grows to maturity in 5-7yrs where a traditional forest can take 30-50.

The core is simply more bamboo. in the case of the ply I used the inner section is just laminated strip laid up 90deg to the face. There are other configurations though. You can get ply from them that is just laminated edge on, but I have heard of more stability issues as you don't get the alternating grain to shore each other up.

and Steve, see the post above, if I can score that credit, I'll gladly ship some samples to folk at cost... hint... hint...
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine View Post
    ... If I get enough likes on the photos of my piece ... Chris
    Done, done, done, and done.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Chris...
    I personally can't "like" without having a facebook account but I have asked friends and relatives to do so...

Facebook has been a source of grief for my wife as a school administrator over the years... It's amazing what "professional" teachers will say publically (and permanently) during their "off" hours! We choose to not participate...

SG