Thread: Craftsman Style

Default Craftsman Style

Holmburg House

Here’s a fun little project just completed in the tradition of “Craftsman Furniture”. One of the best known art designers/furniture maker Gustav Stickley help start this beautiful style. Much of Frank Loyd Wright’s furniture also represents this look. When I visited the Holmberg House for the first time and seeing all interior furnishings my design job was half done. America has a wonderful tradition of new ideas in woodworking like that seen on the show Woodright Workshop. The Apalatcian crude furniture is a delight to the eye. Another interesting movement is “HoBo” furniture. I love it and original pieces are high dollar.. Wish I had time to go into that whole movement.

As a kid I always wanted to jump on a train. Wonder what it would be like? Lots of sign artists started out that way. They were known as "Snappers." Jumping off the train, in a little town with no sign painter and with their sign kit in hand, going from business to business snapping up work. This was prevelant during the depression. Once the fellow got a job, he’d go from door to door, telling other business he could paint their window or sign that day but next but he’d only be moving along tomorrow.
    I've been told they would often stay for a week or two since everyone needed his work. Those cats were good with a brush too. To make their paint opaque, they'd sprinkle in a little silver dust.

I guess it’s too late for me. All the train doors are locked, besides there isn’t any hay in them now days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes Joe and at our age we can't hardly jump a moving freight train

We did it as kids a few times (just to see if we could). It's a wonder we didn't die from some of the stupid things we did, but that's another story.

I can recall seeing guys painting gold leaf(?) on the bank windows then go down and paint the local hardware store and five and dime store windows
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Joe, Love the sign. I love Craftsman style and incorporated throughout my house, I was lucky to have 3 carpenters capable of it, It does take Craftsmen to do it. Gustav was quite the perfectionist, as much as Frank was the Egotist. Once heard a museum (richmond) curator in charge of a craftsman exhibit in '96 describe Wright's furniture as the most uncomfortable chairs he ever sat on. I loved when Wright gave his son his wedding gift "I'll design your house for you" and after abrief pause his son replied "OK Father, but only one caveat- no right angles" It supposedly drove his Dad half crazy designing.

I feel that the U.S. is sorely lacking true 'craftsman'. I am very much involved with the local railroad museum and we have to hire 'licensed' workers to do much of the work. In all of the trades MOST are far from being craftsman! We did hire a cabinet maker (not me) to do some matching cabinet work to some we already had. He was a true craftsman. His tools were always in working order. His truck and trailer were spotless. His work areas were always cleaned up each day before he left the job. When ever he discovered some new issue he was very quick to let us know what was going on, what he suggested for a fix or solution. Oh yeah, his work was terrific too! He is on the very top of our 'highly recommended' list! True craftsmanship is more than just the 'look' of the finished piece. You first need to be a craftsman to create a true craftsman piece, well done! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Russ, if you ever visit the trolley museum in Kennebunkport drop by, they use all volunteer help and recently instituted an old fashioned "apprentice" program to help young folk to be a "real machinist" ie. making exact replacement for the older trolleys which often involved intricate "coachwork". I had to do my house on "time and materials" because of the joinery and evolving ideas, and nobody even dared give a quote. Teaching modern carpenters how to do stuff without any exposed nails or screws drove them crazy.

"Teaching modern carpenters how to do stuff without any exposed nails or screws drove them crazy. " I'll bet. My next prototype job is for the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad, I'm cutting out some white oak beams for use in the reconstruction of some passenger car trucks (wheel sets). I have been doing mostly minature stuff so this is a fun project for me. I'm working with drawings that are 100 years old! Should be fun! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Russ at least the guys doing the drawing back then built stuff to last,careful of coffee stains on the prints. It does sound like fun and it seems like your passion. enjoy. "The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lern" Not typos, Gustav Stickley had it on his fireplace hood.

I worked for a summer hand laying track in the early 70's. Very little power equipment and many adventures. It was a pain in the south end of a north bound horse but the artistry of 3 men pounding spikes as a team was a joy to be a part of. BTW Joe, that craftsman sign is one of your best in a long string of great signs. Bob