Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB ACTING STRANGE...HELP Please!

Default SB ACTING STRANGE...HELP Please!

Hi,
    Longtime PRS96 owner here, since 2000. Went out to fire up SB today to cut a sign that is on deadline. Went to Jog machine and it is acting all bogged down. (standard moving is smooth but jogging is bogged and slow) Won't hold zero values either. I upgraded to newer control box 4-5 yrs ago and my jog speeds should be at 12in/sec. Did a test air cut test to see what was going on and I get and error that the cut file is outside of the table values? I couldn't get it to jog or move past certain points on the table either.
    I just finished a multi file sign job with no issues? I have rebooted and checked all cables...doesn't make sense! any advice out there?

Thanks
    Bill Jarvis

Bill,
    What version of the SB control software are you using? One thing that you might want to look at is the multipliers. I had something similar and it was the multipliers had changed. I think is it under VU.

Andy B.
    Andy Brooks
    Oak Branch Manufacturing and Assembly, LLC
    andy@oakbranchmfg.com
    770-540-9672
    www.oakbranchmfg.com
    PRTAlpha 48x96 w/ 5 HP Spindle

Try to do a UR command and reset your setting. Before you do that write down your values. If you need a hand I am in Medina.

you guys are on to something...I think I have narrowed it down to my unit values. I think they have changed somehow?? The steppers are not tracking the proper distances. Im not sure what my correct unit values are...I pulled my file and changed them to what I had written down in 2006 when I upgraded my control box but that didn't seem to work.
    I am running Shopbot control software Version 3 on my PRT96. 1/4 stepper motors.
    I dropped the motors and they are all working but when I watch it track distance on the control software its off by 30% or so.
    I know there is a formula for figuring out unit values but not sure what it is.

Bill,
    when you say "I couldn't get it to jog or move past certain points on the table either." was that when you put in a jog or move command or when you were just manually moving it with the arrow key.
    It sounds like the unit values are off but as long as you are not hitting a X or Y stop then it sounds like your machine is moving what IT perceives is the proper distance based on it's values.

BTW are we related?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Gene...that is getting printed and put in my file.
    It looks like my software reverted to default unit values for some reason. I changed the unit values to what looked like the proper fit.(it has been since 2006 since I have had to mess with them so my memory is fuzzy..and it looks like my old notes were incorrect)
    Now when I do a test in move mode..my distances are spot on. The problem is in Jog Mode...The jogs are losing all kinds of steps....the motors sound all revved up but move very slow although the control software is tracking a 12" movement they actual gantry only moves about 4".
    Jack...I turned the file limit checking off on table limits and it is allowing me to move around the table now but the reason it was coming up hitting the limits is because of the jog issue I think.

and we could be related...not too many of us around...just ask Iron Man (ha)

you're losing steps in jog...slow it down to 6-8 ips see what happens
    Vector Studio 22

Gene,
    already tried that...no effect unfortunately. The motors just sound wrong in Jog mode too...no matter the speed. They sound like they are spinning fast but getting no grip if that makes sense. The gears are moving fine though. Move mode sounds perfect. Its the same if I use my keyboard to move and jog as well.

ck uv values for jog mode
    Vector Studio 22