Thread: 12inch Z converted to18inch Z not going down all the way

Cool 12inch Z converted to18inch Z not going down all the way

I've have converted my Prt Alpha from a12inh Z to a 18inch Z
    It does not want to go down any further than 14inches before it just shoot back up , I've made sure the springs are not fighting the Z ' powering the motors off you can manually push the Z up and down freely there is no tight spot ,
    Is thereafter value I should be putting in to the control software to tell the tool it can go down all the way

I have a typical 6" Z table setup however on the side i have a trough where i have my indexer setup in the X axis. This allows me to go down an additional at least 6".
    My springs stretch, everything seems to stay stable and i don't seem to have a problem mechanically or software settings-wise with my range of motion. I don't recall that we had to modify the normal settings for the table to make it give me the added movement.

I would suggest a direct email to Shopbot since yours is not a typical setup you may be exceeding some type of built in limits to the software
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Hi Rod,

The easiest thing to check is the Z-axis Min and Max limits in the ShopBot software. You'll find them in the "Values" menu and then "Limits".

That doesn't explain the "just shoots back up" part though...not sure about that one?