Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Crate

Default Egg Crate

All,

I am trying to figure out how to draw an approximate egg crate kind of a surface in Aspire... What I want is an opposing peak and valley. Four sided peaks and four sided valleys, in a checkerboard type of offset.... Red squares might be peaks and black squares might be valleys, if you can visualize that.... Anyone know of any references that would let me see how to draw this?

Thanks,

MGM

There is an 'egg and dart' tutorial shows how to make moulding with egg type profile... I have an egg plate pattern that I made for deviled eggs. look for tutorial... probably a vectric item

M...

Not having Aspire... I modeled it in SketchUp and exported it as a STL. You're welcome to any files I created if this gets you started!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve

The one in brown is almost exactly the type look I am going for. I want to have a small flat plateau at the top of each pyramid and a corresponding flat spot at the base of each inverted pyramid.
    Tell me about sketch up and how I would do this kind of file in the program, please. I have a drawing program and want to be able to make a pattern of a set height, and an approximate angle and all, but I just can't figure out how to create this. I imagine that once I get the first pyramid, all I have to do is to checkerboard it over the area I want to cover, and then figure out what cutter to use to get it all sculpted... ( I am really stepping out to learn something new today!! And THANK YOU for helping push me forward!)

If you can tell me a little about what you did to create it, I will see about getting sketch up or drawing this in my program and getting it sized and all!!

Thanks again.

Monty

Monty...

The second image is the PartWorks 3D rendering of the STL created in SketchUp (image one). I'm sure It can be done in Aspire (likely easier). I did it so those unfamiliar with the packaging term "egg crate" can see what it is you're trying to create! Now hopefully an Aspire whizz will chime in and tell us how...

I occasionally teach SketchUp to 6th, 7th and 8th graders. It's amazing how after just a few pointers they can run with it! The online tutorial videos are very good.

SG

Thanks! I will go look it up and see how I might be able to work with it. ANd then how I might be able to do it in Aspire, too.

I really appreciate your input.

Here is the clip art. joesboats.com/sb/eggcrate.zip

This is aspire .clipart

HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Joe...
    Although technically not egg crate, it is an interesting design! True egg crate has the symmetrical peaks and valleys Monty mentioned in his first post. Packaging egg crate is compression cut (foam is passed through convoluted rollers and cut while compressed) One piece of foam yields two perfectly nested parts. The original purpose was to get effectively lower density packaging materials from cheaper stock... It also turned out to have desirable acoustic properties for sound studio recording walls!

SG

Steve,

That's good - are you as old as I am? I used egg crates to make my anechoic recording studio back in the day - worked great!
    Ron Sloan

Ron...

Old? Dirt has nothing on me! In the 70's I went to work for a packaging company that was developing a machine to cut egg crate for the military... The engineer in charge of the project quit his job after I was there about a week. I was given a crate of castings and machined parts and told the basic Idea of how it was supposed to work. Even though it wasn't my design, there was a lot of "me" in it when it was done!

SG