Thread: Shop setup for new business

Default Shop setup for new business

Hello all,

I'm in the process of starting a new business featuring a shopbot. I have a pretty strong background in both carpentry and computers.I intend to focus on producing custom woodworking products (cabinetry, moldings and trim, dimensional signs etc...) as well as various marine applications. My question is: other than a shopbot, what other tools are essential in order to run a successful business? Is a shopbot able to do the same work of more traditional woodworking tools such as a table saw,planer, and band saw?
    I have a very limited budget in which to get started with and am looking for guidance as to which tools I should purchase first.
    I would appreciate any input and advice you guys might have.

Thanks,
    Ron

Check you Habitat for Humanity thrift store on a regular basis. My brother in Savannah, GA picked up a nice cast-iron 6" edge joiner and a good-quality contractors table saw from them ridiculously cheap, just because he happened to be there when they came in. Keep an eye out for auctions as well. There's been an awful lot attrition lately.

As to your specific question: The ShopBot can do darned near anything that those tools can to, but the question becomes "is it cheaper and more efficient to use a traditional tool instead of the ShopBot?".

I suppose that you could begin with the ShopBot and then see what necessities arise for other stationary power tools. That doesn't help much with space planning for a new shop, though.

Ron

Grizzly tools has something called “workshop planer” on their website . You layout the floor plan first then click and drag deferent tools onto the floor plan. I found this site helpful in laying out work flow.

Bill

quote:what other tools are essential in order to run a successful business?
    A good marketing plan - seriously
    A router table is also pretty handy
    A mitre saw
    small rotary such as a Dremmel or Festool

It will depend on what you are planning to do; I have had my ShopBot for just over a year, had a lot of computer background but had very little wood working education. After a lot of reading and some DVD classes by Charles Neil (http://charlesneilwoodworking.com)
    This is i am doing; (Charles has been very helpful to me in setting up my shop). First look into a good dust collection systems for the ShopBot and for your other equipment; even if you don’t plan to buy the other equipment until later get a dust collection system that will work for the entire shop. I have found that a Planer and a Jointer are both needed to make up large panels. I just went to home depot and got there 12” Plainer and there 6” Jointer. They both come with a lifetime warrantee (Ridgid). Get a good set of clamps and Pipe clamps. Don’t forget about Bits this is something I did not look at when I started up my shop. I spent another $500 in the first few months just on bits. I am working on making a downdraft table for the shop this month; and looking on getting a drum sander (the jet 22-44 oscillating drum sander) Video link (Woodcraft Presents JET 22-44 Plus Drum Sander, Model 649005K with Charles Neil ) Next year. The cost is high but I have seen this in action and it works really well. I have a small table saw but we use the ShopBot to do most of these cuts. One thing you need to look at is time. Do you want to spend the time drawing and setting up ShopBot or would it be faster just to cut it on the table saw. Hope this helps

3 shapers with power feeders and at least $2000 in tooling. 10" 3hp jointer mininum. 20" 3hp planer mininum.10" 3hp cabinet saw.10" miter saw.
    A good central dust collection system. 2-3K in hand tools. Horizontal borers,36"widebelt sander, drum sander if no widebelt. A clamp rack is really nice for doors. Central air pressure system. Finishing room. Material storage racks. Genset back up if your grid system goes out. A very understanding wife because your business will start to become the other wife.

The list can go on for ever. Click this link to see a sample of the used tools on the market.
    www.exfactory.com

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com

A shopbot is just a tool. Most everything it does can be done on a cheaper used tool.

Used shopbots are pretty common as well.

Work on sales first. If you can't sell things for a PROFIT, you will be in trouble very quickly.

Knowing you limits !
    I was use to a small shop no over head garge
    Moved to 4000 sq ft had to change the way i was doing thing or i would be gone .It took over 9 months to get the shop streamlined, as Gene said understanding wife
    Now I can compete
    If your asking for which tool to buy you have to find yor market first
    Sales are evething as Kenneth said
    www.kdunphy.com