Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chair seat carving: Probe or Aspire?

Hi Jack,

I've posted it several times, on both this and Vectric's forum. I didn't model it, I probed it and the corresponding gargoyle, then cut several of each... Damn maybe we're both getting old!

I have, however seen similar - I think Osboune has one close...

The picture I posted was the original - came from wainscotings imported from Belgium, reputed to be from the 1700's
    Ron Sloan

Andrew - I really like the shape of your chair seats. Could you show some screen shots of how you setup your vectors and share a little of your methodology? I assume that you are using a two rail sweep. or sweeps.

Thanks
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

Off topic Andrew, But LOVE the Walnut backs of those chairs
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    For making chair seats, or organic shapes its hard to beat the combination of Sculptris and Aspire.

Sculptris is a free down load-

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

What makes sculptris so good, is it will work on an axis of symmetry and for people its just so easy to do. The learning curve for sculptris is very low, most people at FabLabTulsa seem to pick it up in about ten minutes.

First figure out how to move a model from sculptris to aspire. Then work on the actual shape you want.

If you have Partworks 3D, that works also, but now there are three steps in the process: Sculptris->PW3D->PW2D then cut.

Hope that helps-

D
    Dana, Thanks for the link I will be playing with this, seems nicer than the few free 3d programs I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Andrew - I really like the shape of your chair seats. Could you show some screen shots of how you setup your vectors and share a little of your methodology? I assume that you are using a two rail sweep. or sweeps.

Thanks
    Yes I do two, 2 rail sweeps (one for each side - then join them up).

I have to do the screen shots on my work computer... will try and get it done some time this week. Sorry I'm not as quick as usual,currently, as life is just crazy with a sick dog and 8 week old baby at home these days...

Do you want to see shots of the aspire stuff I am assuming? I can walk you through how I do my seats. Its just one way, but its the way I figured it out when I started in early 2012, and they way I continue to do it as it works great.

Andrew - No problem, sometime this week is more than fine. Yes, I use Aspire and it would be great if you could walk me through your method.

I have tried a few things with only one sweep, but can't quite figure out what I need to do with using two sweeps.

Thanks

Andrew - I am still interested in your method. If you could still help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Andrew - I am still interested in your method. If you could still help out, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry I completely forgot. Will do in the near future... Might not be until the weekend.

OK I did this today... excuse the cell phone pics of my computer screen, but I do not know how to get a screen shot on my new PC.

Before I begin, please for the Aspire pros out there, be kind. I dont mind some constructive critical comments - this method really works well for me and is quick to perform and modify, etc. But I know there might be better ways as well. I was asked to show how I do it, and here it is...

Basically the steps I perform are as follows:

-Draw the chair seat outer profile
    -create a line that will be the center raised portion, up from the center front edge. experimenting with length will show what works best. 1/4 to 1/3 the overall carve depth front to back, is a good place to start
    -draw 1/2 the outer profile of the carve, I use a short line drawn from the rear down, to start and carry the curve past the front edge, then trim.
    -create a curve/arc bewteen the front center and outer edge of the curve - set the depth somewhere comfortable. for a seat thickness of 1.75" I often do a carve depth/height of .75 to .875".
    -do a two rail sweep with the outer curve, and the short center line as the rails, both in the same direction, and the arc you created as the profile. I set it to vary the depth with the separation and set the height max to your arc height.
    -once swept, I simply mirror both the 3D shape, and the outer profile/curve.
    -I manipulate the two sides so there is no space bewteen them (simply zoom in and use the arrow keys to move them so they are touching)
    -draw in the lower front line connecting the curves, and join to get a boundary around the whole shape.
    -create the tool path using both 3D sides and the outer profile.

Here are a series of photos. It really does work!