Thread: Drag knife

Default Drag knife

First I do not work for the company that makes the drag knife, i do not even own one. I do plan on buying one shortly because I plan on creating designs to be used with the cnc and drag knife.

But here is a suggestion for those that do have a drag knife.

Take a picture of your child or grandchild enlarge it big enough to print out on your home printer, with a drawing program trace the outline of the picture very carefully. Cut the out line out on 1/4 baltic birch or acrylic. Print the picture then cut the same out line out with the drag knife. (on the picture make sure to align the picture so that the drag knife will cut the section out that you want to use. Now glue the picture to the wood you cut out and make a stand, I do this with the laser, and it was not my idea but it will work with the drag knife. Great for those sports pictures of the children and grand children... Maybe you can team up with a local photo shop and make them.. I have with the laser. And plan on doing this with the cnc.
    With a local photography shop i can do life size one... They get their photo paper in big rolls. This can also be used for sign making, people that have the large format printers.. You can print the scene out on your printer, cut the shape out with your cnc then cut the scene's shape out with the drag knife.
    BY THE WAY I DO PLAN ON DEVELOPING PATTERNS SO THAT YOU CAN USE BOTH.. HAVE ASKED THE DRAG KNIFE COMPANY TO PROTO TYPE SOME FOR ME TILL I BUY A DRAG KNIFE.
    SOME GREAT DESIGNS AND IDEAS CAME OUT WHILE ON VACATION MY WIFE SAYS I CAN SEE THINGS IN A CLOUD AND END UP WITH A DESIGN. LOL

Think on how many things you can do with the drag knife and your cnc.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

A customer that makes RC airplanes turned me on to foamboard from Dollar tree. It's of course $1 per sheet and used by a lot of hobbyist to make RC planes. I've been trying to expose my kids to the CNC more, so these are their first projects. My daughter did her own design with a small amount of help from me in Aspire. I did the Team Umi Zoomie super shapes thing with my son. I gave him a rectangle, triangle, and trapezoid and he moved them around to make a rocket.

I'm trying to get my wife involved. She is going to make a picture frame out of the same materials.

As Eugene says the applications are amazing. A tool I initially developed for a specific purpose is being used for a huge array of different things. Crafts are just one application, but something that can get kids involved in a way that they can conceptualize easily.

Default Childrens toys

Supper nice.. Your children did a great job... The ones that have children and grandchildren need the drag knife. Teachers with the drag knife could really create great posters. Great for children to do show and tell with also..

I see many uses of the drag knife and many project for home office, stores, retail and wholesale...

Thanks for sharing.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI