Thread: upgrade PRT with a RBK Box

Default upgrade PRT with a RBK Box

Hi Everyone, I contacted Shopbot , and in the process of bringing this Shopbot back to life after it had been stored in a barn for several yrs. It went together easy and all rollers look good and the table squared up easy. I talked to shopbot and they looked the numbers up on the old pc and said it was a 2006 PRT standard and it has the newer rails. I received the new RBK control box yesterday and going with the router instead of the Spindle for now. I had been reading some of the problems some of you have had with the spindle. Some of the questions i have Shopbot said this motors that came with the machine will work. On the wiring diagram it says to use motor ASM98AT.7.2. The motors that came with the machine are in the picture at the top. They are A6497-9412KTG, 2 phase/ 0.5/step/. I am going to get an electrician to hook it up but is this the only box needed. I noticed in some of the pictures of the machines there is another box outside of the RBK that is smaller and has lights on it. I did not know if this new box took care of all that. I was looking at the wiring diagram and it has an input voltage of 120 v on the drawing to connect to the Main Disconnect. I am sure that the Electrician will know but if he has a question . Does 120V run the complete RBK control Box. The router has a plug on it and i was wondering if it had to have its own source of power. I did not know if a plug needs to be mounted to the side of the y carriage . It looks like from the wiring diagram it ties into the contactor so it will shut down if you hit the stop switch. One more question where is the best location to mount the RBK so all the wires will reach. I am going to take my time on this, it is best to do it right the first time and not have to go back and do it again. Thanks everyone for any input you can give me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

David,
    This is what you want: Hooking up an RBK/PRS Standard

20A 110v for both electronics & your router.

Yes - get an extension cord and run it down the wire guide/acrylic leaf, behind the tool. Take ALL wiring and make a neat bridled loop, secured @ center table to manage all the wires.

You will most likely have to remove the controller card from inside the control box (CAREFULLY!!) to wire up your motor wires to the drivers. Be deliberate, precise and careful when you push the card back onto the black 'Oriental RBK' drivers - taking care not to bend any pins!

The rest should be straightforward.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

And to add to Brady's excellent reply: The other smaller box with lights that you see in some photos is the VFD control for a spindle. If/when you upgrade to a spindle then you will need one.

Thanks, Brady and Dave for your expertise. We have a 2 Thermwood 43 at work and that put my shop at home outdated with the table saws and all. I am having to get educated all over again in using the shopbot it will take some time. Does anyone know if the brackets that holds the new RBK control box come with the unit. I did not receive any. Again thanks everyone for all you help.

I'm fairly certain they should come with an upgrade box. There are 3 of them. 2 that hang the box at the top and one that attaches to the leg towards the bottom. Call SB on Monday and ask them. It's a lot easier with the hardware they give you than to fab up yourself. The nuts they give you eliminate the need to remove hardware from the leg in order to slide in t-nuts for the upper brackets.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady, I will call them tomorrow