Thread: Imperial to Metric issue.

Default Imperial to Metric issue.

Hi, I was on the phone last night to shopbot tech support as I'm having issues with the latest software version of SB3.

I have found an issue where it wasn't performing the C3 command correctly. This was due to the setting file not changing from the default of 0 (inches) to 1 (metric). Once I changed that value manually and saved the file I have now come across another issue.

When doing the C3, it will complete the Y axis correctly but it fails on the X axis once it hits a value of -250.01. Obviously this is a limit issue but I'm unsure what value to change.

Can anyone shed some light on what value I need to change to let it move further than the -250 value. I assume that it is some sort of imperial to metric issue where normally an imperial value of 250 is more than enough safeguard but 250mm is a relatively shorter distance hence the failing.

Regards,
    Shane.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but the default movement off the limit switches for a C3 is 0.5", I believe (12.7mm) and you are getting an error when it goes over ~10 inches? I've never seen this, but the first thing I'd try is to simply move it close to where you want your 0,0 to be, hit Z2 and try again. Maybe your table coordinates are set somewhere off your table to begin with?

Just a wild guess, actually...
    Ron Sloan

The first move until a switch is hit is set to 200 inches for imperial and 5000mm for metric. The second move (once it's backed off from the switch) is 10 inches for imperial and 250mm for metric.

The second move shouldn't be failing as it should have moved 1 inch off the switches for imperial and 25.5mm for metric.

If you look at the c:\sbparts\XYZero.sbp file you'll see all the variables concerned at the end of the file.

In the end I just moved my 0,0 closer to the proximity switch. Once it was under 250mm it worked fine. I will have to get hold of shopbot support again and ask them what is happening. As I need a long term fix as other times I need 0,0 to be further away than 250mm from the edge.

The first pass on doing the c3 is fine, it is only on the second pass where it stops at -250mm.

Regards,
    Shane.

Shane

You will find on all of the standard routines that the movement off the prox switches is always hard coded. You will need to spend time going through every routine and change the values to either a variable or a useable value.

David