Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Position" window always on top

Default "Position" window always on top

Does anyone know how to permanently disable the feature in the shopbot control software that makes it so the position window can never be obscured by other windows? I'm guessing it's something of a safety feature, although it only seems to be engaged sporadically and just gets in the way...

It's set that way for a reason. You can't disengage the cursor from the yellow square so that if you have an emergency you can shut down immediately, otherwise you will have big problems. Just get used to not doing ANYTHING with that computer once your machine is engaged and cutting.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Hey Jack thanks for the response. Yup, I'm totally on board with the software taking over my comp when I'm running a part file or when the router's in motion. My problem is that It occasionally likes to slap that window on top of every other window just because the software is open and in move/cut mode. Everything else functions normally and I am free to use other programs as I normally would, except that the position window is stuck on top of vCarve or whatever else I'm doing. I would probably be more willing to just put up with it if it did it consistently, but it seems to be completely random... Sometimes opening up the keypad and then closing makes it solves the problem, sometimes not. and then the only thing I can do is switch it to preview mode or restart. Probably could have been clearer in my original post...

Yup, I'm totally on board with the software taking over my comp when I'm running a part file or when the router's in motion.
    Joshua,

That's been my arguing point with SBHQ since SB3 first came to life after the DOS version. If I'm not running anything and the focus isn't on SB3, then it should go to the background. I realize that it's for safety purposes, but if the focus isn't there, then nothing should happen. If it does, then something else is wrong. I could see something happening more if someone is trying to work around a widow that stays on top.

Knowing that it wasn't going to change and I wasn't going to run two monitors (or a huge one) on the control PC and wasn't going to switch SB3 to Preview mode each time I wanted to do a quick edit of a file in my design software, I started using a small desktop switcher program called Windows Pager. It's setup for two desktops and can be switched from one to the other by mouse or in my case ctrl-1 and ctrl-2. Works great and have never had a problem with it on Win XP and 7pro 64.

http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/
    Scott

This is a pain in the $(%. There are times I have Aspire open to tweak some settings on a file, then save my new toolpaths, and that stupid position window sits on top of Aspire even though no part files are running.

It is VERY annoying to say the least. SB3 should behave like a properly written Windows program when a file is not running.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I have had those same issues when you had to try to tweak a file and resave and i had to totally shut down the SB program in order to pull the other one up to work and i position my X, Y back at 0,0 just in case, then shut the pgm down.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

This is really a non-issue when you use your bot computer as a dedicated controller computer and not as a design computer.

Most of us have our controller computers "stripped" down to basics and they don't make good design computers anyway!

SG

Steve,
    Here's my problem. I usually design stuff on the computer in the house, then i put it on a thumbdrive and bring it out to the shop. If my cutout part file isn't deep enough or it needs just a small adjustment to a file, i'd rather just update it there, resave the cut file and go, rather then running back in the house.

I'd like to see where you could mnimize the whole control program when it was not engaged or when it was minimized it is somehow in a sleep mode and could not be operated. Then when it is operating you can't do anything else
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I usually design stuff on the computer in the house, then i put it on a thumbdrive and bring it out to the shop. If my cutout part file isn't deep enough or it needs just a small adjustment to a file, i'd rather just update it there, resave the cut file and go, rather then running back in the house.
    My thoughts exactly! A lot of times I'll edit a part file 4 or 5 times and cut small samples before I make the official cut. If I had to run back and forth between machines to accomplish that I would probably lose my mind.

Here, here.....I'm with you guys. My design PC is in my office 80 yards from the shop......if I need to tweak something I don't really want to run between my office and the shop to do it!!!

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table