Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Position" window always on top

Hmm. I do this all the time - tweak my Aspire files on my control computer. I used to have the same problem, but found a way around it - something about clicking the windows in sequence. I kind of do it as second nature now, so don't really rememember it at the moment (in my office), but I'll check and le ya all know! (Now watch - it won't work for me, now!)
    Ron Sloan

Here's a screencast of the WindowsPager program (mentioned further up this thread) in use on my control PC. You may have to scroll down to see my taskbar. The two rectangles towards the end are the two desktops. First I used the mouse to switch back and forth from one desktop to the other and then using ctrl-1 and ctrl-2. Quick and seamless.

http://screencast.com/t/Xje82Wf0Q
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    Hmm. I do this all the time - tweak my Aspire files on my control computer. I used to have the same problem, but found a way around it - something about clicking the windows in sequence. I kind of do it as second nature now, so don't really rememember it at the moment (in my office), but I'll check and le ya all know! (Now watch - it won't work for me, now!)
    I found that if I click on the RED window first then bring Aspire up, SB3 falls to the background (most of the time, but not all the time, sometimes I have to shut down SB3.) - except the spindle speed control window. I can not get this window to behave like a windows app should behave. It ALWAYS stays on top regardless of what I do. Not sure how Shopbot got this to happen but they did.

Another thing I found is with SBLink. If you are nesting a large number of cabinets for cutting, SBLink causes a comm loss between SB3 and the controller. I have to shut down SB3, run SBLink then bring SB3 back up. I put this fault on Thermwood for not making SBLink a better behaved Windows app.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

This works for me every time.... Hope it does the same for you.

1. Computer on and allow full boot to allow background tasks to complete. Usually 2-3 minutes.
    2. Start your design software (Aspire 4.0 or VCP 7.0 for me) and LOAD the file you will be working on.
    3. SAVE the file you just loaded in your design software and minimize that window.
    4. Power up the ShopBot Control Box and enable drives.
    5. Bring up the ShopBot Control software, zero x,y and z as you would normally.

You should now be able to Maximize your design software and the ShopBot software remain behind the design software without needing to go to Preview. You can then ALT/TAB or icon click to bring up which ever you desire.

I am running an Alpha (2007) with SBVer. 3.8.8. My computer is bare bones. I have only installed what I need for the shop. NO anti-virus software and is NOT connected to the home network or internet.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 10/10/2013, 08:18:42
    Machine name: STUDIO_A
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
    Page File: 618MB used, 5521MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

How about using Drop Box for your files. That will you allow you to reduce your walking between the 2 computers. Don't ask me the details. Maybe someone else can give you that info. Kern

Two computers? No, just one. Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Not to be all 'captain obvious' here, but...Just close SB3. I don't understand the big deal. If you are paranoid, park the tool at a round number (E.G. 24,12) and close out SB3. Write down those numbers if it makes you feel better. As long as the control box is on, you will not lose position or mess anything up in SB3...and no more DRO covering up your toolpath tab. The DRO is modal for safety reasons...and yes it is a pain if you want to tweak your file. Just close it...Solved.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I might as well chime in what I do.....

I also like to tweak files on my control computer with Aspire and SB control running same time (laptop running Vista)......yes I know it's Vista but with the Service Pak installed it has actually been rock solid.

I never shut my computer down only place in hibernation when away.

Any how this is the sequence....it must be in this sequence or it won't work for me:
    - bring up both programs, doesn't matter which is first. I always have Aspire running in the background anyway.
    - start the keypad in SB3 then close it
    - press with mouse on the red area or blue status bar over the red SB3 box ....can't remember it's name.... that you see up on the right side of screen.
    - then click open Aspire and it will be on top completely. It will now stay that way until you shut down Aspire or SB3.

Works for me every time as long as I follow the procedure.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Hello All,

There seem to be two situations of interest here: 1) Running ShopBot and another program like Aspire at the same time, in the situation where the ShopBot software is active, but not cutting a file; and, 2) Using another program like Aspire, at the same time that ShopBot is cutting a file.

1) In the current software (3.8.8 and later), you should be fine with situation #1. You should be able to start and run any program and have it be "on top" when your are using it -- then have ShopBot come up "on top" when you shift back to using it. This normal "Windows" behavior assumes you are not cutting a file or using the Keypad (both situations in which the tool is in motion or potentially in motion and the "STOP" button visible). As far as I know, the software behaves as described here with XP, W7, and W8 and you should not need to do anything extreme to make it happen.

* In most older versions of the software, ShopBot will similarly go into the background if you have switched it to Preview Mode (clicking the button or entering [SP]).

** I just noticed the issue with the small Spindle Speed window which is not behaving similarly/appropriately. We'll check that out and get it fixed.

2) In the case of ShopBot being active and in motion or cutting, the ShopBot software ~will attempt~ to maintain priority, to control focus and cursor position, and to stay on top. This is done for two reasons: first, for SAFETY -- we want anyone to be able to find that STOP button quickly, even if it is someone who has just come into the room and knows little about ShopBot; second, we want to give SHOPBOT PRIORITY on the communication bus -- we want to do everything we can to prevent disruption of USB streaming of motion to ShopBot. Processors today have no problem with high rates of number crunching and motion planning, but there can still be bottlenecks in allotting time on the underlying hardware bus. You don't want to take the chance of your tool starting to choke and stutter because Windows has decided it is more important to fuss with updating your graphics file on a disk drive than to keep the tool moving smoothly.

And, somewhat related, note that with the 3.8.8 software, the tool will itself remember its location as long as it is not shut off. You can start and stop the software, go in and out of preview mode, etc ... And your location will be absolutely remembered. {If you turn off power to the the tool, the software will remember ~a~ location, but since the tool might physically move slightly with the power off, there is no guarantee that this latter position is accurate.}

Hope this is clarifying ...

Ted Hall, ShopBot

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    ... we want to give SHOPBOT PRIORITY on the communication bus -- we want to do everything we can to prevent disruption of USB streaming of motion to ShopBot ...
    This is the real meat of it right here. I guess if you have an alpha its not that big of a deal but with my PRS a missed step will almost certainly mean the work is ruined.

While NOT running a cut and opening notepad my SB window always stays on top. So I understand what you are saying on that count. The software really does remember where the tool is if you don't power off the bot.

I like many others have a very weak machine that is dedicated to the bot. No network, no antivirus just bot. Pretty sure I am running 3.6.5. Given the pain that so many people faced on upgrades I just stayed where I was. It wasn't broke so I didn't fix it.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley