Thread: Problems with Collet Life Plugs

Hybrid View

Default Problems with Collet Life Plugs

Wondering if anyone else has experience with Onsrud's collet life plugs:

http://www.toolsxp.com/Onsrud-Cutter...Bits-34-50.asp

They're described as being "...designed to keep full grip collets from collapsing in the back when the router bit shank does not fill the full grip collet completely."

It seems that they prevent me from tightening the collet enough to keep the bit from sliding during plunges. (Doesn't happen all the time, but reared its ugly head again today...)

For what it's worth, my collet is relatively new (and has seen limited use since I bought it) and I use Onsrud's wire brush kit to keep it clean, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, I've had the same problem with every collet I've tried to use 'em in, which should rule out some sort of manufacturing defect. Lastly, I use Onsrud's collets, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

I've heard somewhere that over-tightening is a bad thing, but I've never had any luck with anything other than pretty doggone tight. Could this have anything to do with it?

John,

Do you always use those things? First I've heard of them. I often don't insert my bits all the way into my collet, but have obviously never used the "collet life plugs" and never have an issue with my bits slipping. Also, I only tighten my collet, "reasonably tight," meaning I simply tighten by hand, until it feels "right" - obviously not much help there, but I don't really tighten them that much, simply a good snug fit.

Of course it really boils down to exactly what type collet you are using.
    Ron Sloan

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    John,

Do you always use those things? First I've heard of them. I often don't insert my bits all the way into my collet, but have obviously never used the "collet life plugs" and never have an issue with my bits slipping. Also, I only tighten my collet, "reasonably tight," meaning I simply tighten by hand, until it feels "right" - obviously not much help there, but I don't really tighten them that much, simply a good snug fit.

Of course it really boils down to exactly what type collet you are using.
    Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me, but I don't use those collets. It's nothing more than a dowel pin with an e-ring on it. A 1/4 X 1/2l ong dowel pin is a $0.33 part from fastenal:
    https://www.fastenal.com/web/product...filterByStore=
    you could check mcmaster too.

Ron--

I stopped using the 1/4" plug awhile ago because it gave me lots of trouble. I pulled out the 1/2" one today and everything worked fine. The only reason I bought and tried to use them is that Onsrud recommends them, and since I frequently can't put the bits all the way in (due to the length of my dust collection skirt), they seemed like a good idea. Now I'm starting to think otherwise.

I'm hoping others have pros or cons to share -- just in case I'm missing something.

Default collets

Not sure what you are using, but collets for a PC are only about 8 bucks and you can keep your common bits in them and change out the whole collet and nut each time.

If you are using something else of course that would get expensive.

I use a bit of medium blue Loctite between the bit and the collet which dries and keeps the bit from slipping.

These work well for 1/8 shank bits with a bit of Loctite. I like the 1/2 by 1/8.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops..._bearings.html
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....