Thread: Tool Database numbering

Default Tool Database numbering

For the few projects I have done, one of the things I am bumbing into, is that the tools in the default databases share some of the same tool numbers. I know this is easy to change and have had to go back in and change numbers and proceed on.
    this brings up several different questions. If the all of the toolpaths are sent to the machine seperatly, then it would make no difference. Do most you combine the tool paths into one file, or send seperate files for each different tool? For the tool database I see tool numbers are available into the thousands. Do you set up a numbering system, certain number ranges for differnt kinds of tools? Numbers set up for the same tool with different peramiters?
    I have been combining my tool paths into one file, when running the program stops and prompts me to change tools to tool number "X". I end up taking some cheat notes at the design computer to remember the number for each tool. works OK for my simple things now, but it seems like setting up some kind of standardization now would be helpful later.
    How do you all set this up? Thanks....

Gene,
    The first thing, before you get in a habit. STOP combining toolopaths!

You can have the same type of tool (ex: 14endmill=quarter inch endmill) and have it used for different operations, name it differently, number it differently and call it up in your tool database.

By naming and saving each toolpath seperately you then know which toolpaths you have run, and ones you haven't. By combining toolpaths, lets say you have an interruption and have to restart your toolpaths, then you have to start them all over (guys correct me if i'm wrong...)

When you get into some 3d carving operations i've had over 10 toolpaths and you will never be able to keep good track unless you keep each toolpath seperate.
    I'm not sure i understand what you are talking about re:numbering tools...none of my tools are numbered.
    mine are named like this
    14 endmill (i just eliminate the "slash" /
    18 ballose
    12 endmill
    I usually name my toolpaths like this
    "profile cutout 14endmill"
    "pocket .25 deep 14 endmill"

I also used to write down each toolpath after i ran it to make sure i didn't forget to do it.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack,
    You haven't kept up with the times...ShopBot has been using the TC_Inch & TC_MM posts for a few years now. You have to take care that you actually know what you are talking about before you dispense advice to newer users. This is one example where post count means precisely 'jack'.

Gene,
    Welcome to the SB Forum.

These are 'manual toolchange' posts, 'MTC' that prompt the user to change tools, and permit multiple toolpaths to be saved in the SAME FILE regardless of tool geometry. Yes, it is completely possible to save out each toolpath by itself, with no regard for tool numbering - but that is not the intention of the TC post processor. You may find this document helpful.

Here's the info that you want:

Head 1 (Z) tools are #1...#19
    Head 2 (A) tools are #21...#29 (Only used if you have a 2nd Z)
    Drill 1 (Z) tools are #31...#39 (Only used if you have an air drill)
    Drill 2 (Z) tools are #41...#49 "
    Drill 3 (A) tools are #51...#59 "
    Drill 4 (A) tools are #61...#69 "

I don't use the TC series of post processors on my machine. However, when I go out to train a new user, I encourage them to number the same diameter tools a particular number. For example, unless I am using two 1/4" diameter square end tools in the same file (unlikely), then 1/4" is always say #4 or something (easy to remember...1/2" can be #2 etc - whatever works for YOU).

It would be very rare to use a 1/4" upcut spiral, and/or a 1/4" straight and/or a 1/4" downcut together in the same file. There are certainly exceptions, that just how I organize them. By using diameters as a common denominator, it makes it real easy to put your cheat sheet on the wall as a reference...you shouldn't have to change it. Make your 'specials' tool #19, like the spoilboard bit or say a Roman ogee etc.

I hope that makes sense.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Hi, thanks for the responses. I have V-carve pro 7.0, and I see it is using the TC_Inch post. From Brady’s doc I see in the file menu the listing of older available posts in the software for air drills and other things that do not apply for me at this time. I have a desktop and have upgraded to the control software to 3.8. After reading Brady’s post for the 6th time I catch onto my setup is the Head 1 (Z) tools are #1-#19. Tool numbers 21-69 are set aside for the other available posts built into the Shop Bot edition V-carve Pro 7.0.

My software accepts tool numbers from 1 to 9999. 1-19 is the common range it sounds like people work with. 21-69 is set aside. Are 70-9999 available? I am thinking about 100’s are end / ball mills, 200’s are V-bits……, 500’s are specialty bits spoil board cutter, ogee bits. My thought is with 3 digits to work with I can know something about the bit just by it’s number. This would leave lots of gaps in numbers so if you got a similar bit to one you already had, it could have a close number.

I have had “interruptions” already in running part files and have had to restart the file. I see a seperate file that the control software creates as it is cutting the part file. This file looks to be used to restart the part file where it left off. It seems to be deleted when the complete part file is cut. I have tried to start a file at a specific line number with no success yet. So I can see the value of separating tool paths into separate files, although the software seems to be set up for it, once I learn how to start a file a given point.

Again Thanks for the responces

Gene,
    You can run the other posts made for the SB, such as 'Arcs_Inch' or Inch/MM variants. Experiment with what works best for the way YOU want to work. There is certainly nothing wrong with saving out each individual toolpath and running each in sequence. However, this was/is a source of confusion for many new users that get messed up when it comes time to save toolpaths. Some think the MTC posts are helpful, while others think they just create more confusion.

If you use the other posts, tool numbers rarely matter, unless you try to combine 2 different tools - then you'll get a message that toolchanging isn't supported with the selected post. In that case, the name of the tool differs, and that is enough to throw up a warning message.

Jack,
    Yes - you were not completely off base. It is easier to hack apart, read & verify single toolpaths over multi-toolpaths saved in one file. Of course, the FG command can be used (cautiously...) to restart a file at any line.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson