Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Honey, I Shrunk the Clock!" - JULY 2013 Project of the Month

Default "Honey, I Shrunk the Clock!" - JULY 2013 Project of the Month

Hello,

Here is the July 2013 project I created for owners of Aspire 4 (and future higher versions). It is a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric!

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/pr...her-clock.html

This FREE project features a miniature version of a classic Grandfather Clock “shrunk” down to a height of about 42" ! The clock is constructed in sections/layers with the Vectric Aspire files (17 of them) ordered and organized to correspond with the chronological build process outlined in the included illustrated PDF instructions.

The project goes together quite easily. Perhaps the greatest challenge is the cutting of a couple miter joints on one of the base layers and the topmost clock head bonnet, but even this task is a straight-forward process for the average woodworker.

Special thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for making this project possible!

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire 4 software. (You must own Aspire 4 or later, to be able to run this project.)

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. You can make changes to suit your particular machine, bits, etc.

The project uses the following bits...

0.25" down-spiral End Mill
    0.125" Ball Nose
    0.5" Ball Nose
    90-degree V-Bit

Apply your choice of finish. I am applying an oil paint glaze/stain on my prototype using artist's oil paints (a technique I learned from my aunt many years ago in one of her Tole painting classes).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, I already have downloaded the files and will make one when time permits... but probably in walnut, cherry or mahogany.

Its a great looking clock! Thanks a lot for such a wonderful project/files. Much appreciated!

Andrew

Michael,
    I always like to see pictures of projects you come up with and am always amazed at the crazy variety of different ideas that come out of your head!
    You seem to top yourself each time....good job!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Michael - your best project yet!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Michael,

What a great project! Thank you for your generosity!

I will be building one possibly out of bubinga and maybe using some ebony inlay just for the heck of it. I love the color combo. I may even through in some curly maple because I love the contrast with bubinga. I'll have to figure out which wood would go where for the best results.

Thanks again!!!!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I thank you too. This was the project that finally convinced me to upgrade from Aspire 3.5 to 4. I never thought I wood need anything more than 3.5 Again, I was sadly mistaken. Patterns are worth as much as software, but I up to date again and the patterns were a major part of my decision.

thanks again to vectric and shopbot

Michael,

As always great projects....I've done a few in the past and they have been hits with family and friends.

Any reason why I could not alter the plans to build a taller unit??

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Have you looked into putting a real clockworks into the case? How long of a pendulun would the case accommodate?

Thank you all! I appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the versions you come up with! Lots of creative possibilities, including installing a pendulum clock insert (with a modified long panel to reveal the pendulum), creating a footed base, adding a couple decorative turned spindle ornaments on both sides of the bonnet, etc.

The clock could certainly be scaled up to full-size, but I would likely use some different strategies for creating the mouldings and layers for a "big" one. (I purposed to make this "shrunk" version as simple and straightforward to cut/carve/assemble, as possible.)

Awesome! I've tried only one other vectric download, but gonna give this a try.