Thread: Router fence automation

Default Router fence automation

Rockler also teamed up with Next Wave Automation, makers of the CNC Shark, to showcase a new router-table fence system that incorporates digital technology. This fence system mounts onto any router table and enables you to move it incrementally forward and back in .001° increments. You can program in certain router processes, such as making box joints, dovetails, or dadoes, and the unit will automatically position the fence from the bit for each cut. (You must program in the bit size and zero it out to the fence before starting.) This system will sell for $599.

Well it had to happen I suppose. This could be the end for Incras positional systems as sadly they have failed to keep up with technology advances unless they get moving real quick. Shame because they are currently expanding into an even bigger warehouse. I have had some dreadfull experiences with Nextwave and would intantly without hesitation, buy one of these were it made by Shopbot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

A bit more info from Fine Woodworking

First it was CNC, then it was SawStop technology, now Rockler and Next Wave Automation (makers of the CNC Shark) hope to take computer-controlled technology to the next level with a "smart" router table fence system dubbed "Ready to Rout."

The Ready to Rout system, set to debut in late September/early October, comes standard with four apps designed to produce box joints, dado joints, halfblind dovetail joints, and a whole host of step-and-repeat operations (think flutes spanning the width of a board). Additional apps, like one for cutting through dovetails, are also in the works. Need a custom app? We hear that might be a possibility as well. The unit is set to retail for $599.

Here's the basic idea. Let's take a box joint as an example. After setting the bit height in the conventional manner, the operator zeros the fence and uses the touch screen to indicate the router bit width, and width of stock. The router is turned on and the first cut is made. Next, the operator hits a button which causes the fence to move to its next position, makes the next pass, and continues on down the line.

Additional features include the ability to use an imperial sized bit (say 1/2-in.) while at the same time entering in metric measurements. The computer compensates for the difference in measures. In addition, firmware updates can be made via a USB port on the back of the fence and the ability to download a diagnostic file for forwarding to Next Wave in case of technical problems might be in the works as well.

The full possibilities of this tool remain to be seen, and that will ultimately determine its market. That said, the Ready to Rout system is an interesting step in the march towards smart tools. The question is: just how smart do we want them to be?
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

And some more from another mag!

Next Wave’s Computerized Router Table Fence

The first creative product is a computerized, programmable router fence developed by Next Wave Automation; it will be released exclusively through Rockler starting in late September or early October. Why do we need a computerized, programmable router fence? Well, truth be told, it’s probably overkill for most of us. But if you’re the kind of woodworker who loves technology and wants to create precise and repeated joints, this machine does have appeal. And the price ($599) makes it a reasonable investment for techno-woodworkers.

The Next Wave system uses a tight-tolerance worm drive to precisely move the fence in relation to the bit. To zero it to the cutting diameter of your bit, you first insert a digital touch plate between the fence and the bit. Once the system has locked down that exact distance, you can program the fence for one or more cuts spaced specific distances from your cutter. You can save up to six fence positions in the system’s permanent memory in case you want to come back later and do another run of specific parts.

What’s really cool about the system is that it comes with a series of apps that takes the guesswork out of cutting dovetails, box joints and dados. For example, if you’re cutting dovetails and you want to precisely space them on a board, you can simply plug in the diameter of your bit and the width of your workpiece and the system’s program will automatically determine spacing and set up the cuts. You can see the screen readout for dovetail spacing on the adjacent photo.

Now I realize I’m talking heresy to those of us who think spacing out dovetails with a pair of dividers is just fine, thank you. But still, this is a fascinating technology.

The folks at Next Wave say they’ll be adding apps for more operations in the future and because the system has a USB drive, it will be easy to add apps or update system software. They’re also looking at other applications for their fence system, including tying it into a router lift and possible using it on a table saw fence.

TeknaTool’s Smart Drive Drill Press
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob, I'm a very big fan of your research based posts. I believe that they serve both the SB community and SB itself in terms of deciding what's needed to keep ahead of the pack. I salute your diligence in this globally competitive, challenging and ever shifting world.

Why should they stop with just a CNC Fence? Why not have the router lift tied in as well. It can be a pain to dial in a router bit height. If it were automatic, then you could have a z-zero plate and dial your bit up automatically.

Then if you have to run multiple passes with a large bit you could raise it incrementally between passes to the final depth.

Say you have multiple pieces of different sizes that all need a stopped dado at the same depth and you have to take two or three passes to get the depth that you need. Leavine the bit height the same and resetting guide blocks two or three times would be a pain. Also trying to match the final bit height between parts could be inexact. So if it was digitally controlled then you could leave your stop blocks in place and have it go to position 1,2,3 and then reset for the next part.

Another plus would be a truely flat router table. I have yet to use one that didn't have a catch somewhere.

And throw in an ATC just for kicks

Totally agree Blaine. Think I read somewhere that there is an auto lift in the pipeline. Just wish this development was being undertaken by someone as dedicated as Shopbot.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

This makes me even more confident I did the right thing buying a shopbot.
    Since I'm evolving toward using it to cut all these joints, I shouldn't need that accessory for the router table - no need to burn 600 bills when I can simply take the time to set up those cuts on the 'bot. If it requires that much precision, chances are it is worth setting it up on the shopbot.

There is a great value to using the same system for all digital processes. One more self-contained microcomputer is one more microcosm of tweaking and de-bugging.

A router table will likely hold it's place for profiling and shaping, but 90+% of that work is not demanding accuracy to .005.

As these new digital tools emerge, it is clear to me that we all are ahead of the curve by having entered the digital realm already - and not a moment too soon...

jeff