Thread: Bad power supply

Default Bad power supply

My 2001 PRT broke down last Friday. Troubleshooting on the forum and with shopot all said bad power supply. (The cheap power supply, not the mean well). Keep in mind here I am no electronics guy. I ordered new power supply by the specs on side of old unit off the Internet. Came in and I hooked it up today......no go. Called Shopbot, they told me to check power going into power supply with volt meter. ( had to run home, grab volt meter then go back to shop.) power is fine going into power supply. ****...Internet supplier must have sold me bad power supply. Went to local radio shack (should have done this from the start) grabbed a power supply off the shelf. And headed back to shop confident I had it fixed. Hooked it up and nothing???? REALLY? Now I don't understand, not two bad power supplies..... I happened to glance at the old power supply and noticed the GREEN and BLACK wires on the main harness were cut and tied together. Looked in the instructions on the new power supply and looks like a remote turn on. I tied those 2 wires together on the new power supply, plugged it back in and all worked Perfect. Just wanted to post this for anyone changing out a power supply on an older PRT.

Yes. ATX power supplies need to be 'tied off' otherwise they will never power up. This supplies 5 & 12v to the board. The MeanWell supplies power to the steppers.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com