Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoilboard recommendations

Default Spoilboard recommendations

I plan on cutting with a misting system so I was trying to think what type of synthetic/plastic material would work as a spoil board and not suffer from the absorption that MDF would? Any suggestions?

If you don't find anything else, Extira might work. Resists moisture fairly well and inexpensive. I'm using some for a countertop where I wash dogs, paint trays etc... not had any issues with it esp if you seal it.

/RB

Neville...

It sounds like the perfect solution to your need but...
    If you find Exteria in Texas let me know!

SG

Hey Rob, yes Extira probably would be a good inexpensive solution. I forgot to mention I will be using screws for hold down and removing the board when I want to use the t-slot below it. So material with good screw hold would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Neville...

It sounds like the perfect solution to your need but...
    If you find Exteria in Texas let me know!

SG

The MFG lists Brazos Forest Products as a supplier. One is located in Austin. Doesn't mean they carry it, but it's a start. I buy from Atlanta Hardwood Products, runs me less than $80/sheet for 1" thick.

Brazos Forest Products
    600 Industrial Blvd.
    Austin, TX 78745
    Phone: 512-443-0777

Hey there Steve. I hadn't considered that . Just called Brazos FP here in Austin , they carry .75,.625, and .5. $85 for a sheet of .75

Woo Hoo!... They have an outlet in Grand Prairie. When I went on the Exteria web site it looked like St. Lewis was the closest. As my shop isn't always temperature/Humidity controlled MDF is unsuitable. I've been using Baltic Birch the last number of years, but will be changing to Exteria.

SG

I machine 1" Extira regularly and it's a love-hate relationship. Make sure if you are creating dust with it you have GOOD dust extraction and run your air cleaner (get one if you don't have one).

It is not impervious to moisture but is highly stable in my experience. I left a piece floating in the lake for a month, it did warp a little and swell slightly on the corners but otherwise was stable.

It holds screws well when perpendicular but will split if you put a screw into the edge without pre-drilling.

One side is sort of dull, the other side is slightly glossy (at least with what I buy) and I think for a spoilboard I'd put the glossy side down.

You cannot pull a vacuum through it, just in case you were wondering.

/RB

No, spoil board only, plan on doing mostly aluminum with a misting system, that's why I though of a plastic - very hard poly foam material that would be impervious to moisture but would have some of the same properties as MDF, namely ability to hold a screw.

Hey Neville-

I have been experimenting with using 1/2" HDPF (Home Depot Pink Foam), its working so far, my intention was to get more experience with it and then write a thread on the forum about it. Your unique need has caused me to write about my experiments before I was prepared to tell the world!

The water resistant aspect of it is not important to me, but it would be for your application!

I have used HDPF both as a table spoil board material and as a vacuum plenum/spoilboard. It is not porous so does not act as a bleederboard, but I have this amazing CNC machine that can cut a really nice array of holes in it really fast! Its just foam.. its so inexpensive it makes replacing it a non-issue.

It does compress slightly from the weight of the material being cut, or from the vacuum force of the Becker pump. But its stable at that "squish" value. I just do my zzero after a few seconds of vacuum and the results have been good up to about 0.020" of flat. Its not perfect, but at that price its handles most of my applications.

So.. my two cents worth is "give HDPF a try" you might be surprised and how well it works! It gouges easy, which is one down side, but at that price.. just shave another layer off and keep going!

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook