Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool chest advice...

Default Tool chest advice...

I'm looking for a large tool chest, something similar to http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0588_200580588 and adding the top chest etc...

I want to consolidate all my "stuff" to one good place. I currently have 4 of the "Lowe's Depot Husky Rubbermaid" specials that range from "Better than Nothing" to "OK".

I see prices running the full range. I'm not looking for daily mechanic quality but rather "decent sit's in one place 95% of the time and keeps the tools from getting dusty" AND "not total carp so the first time I try to roll it the thing falls apart" quality.

Homak from Northern seems to be medium high on price. Or I can go with Husky from the depot and get the same look for less etc...

I'd like to keep the price to about $1000 give or take.

Can anyone offer some brands to avoid? Or suggest a really good budget brand etc...

Thanks,
    /RB

Rob, I have one of the Lowes Kobalt ones on casters , just the lower unit but the wheels, locks and drawer slides and shell is built like a tank, albeit an Aluminium one . I love it. N

I'm terribly disappointed... I ASSUMED that since you own the best design/fabrication tools in the world, you would design the best solution for your needs!

SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I'm terribly disappointed... I ASSUMED that since you own the best design/fabrication tools in the world, you would design the best solution for your needs!

SG
    No... I pretty much just need a toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    no... I pretty much just need a toolbox.

omg!!! Rotflmao!

Harry,
    I am notoriously cheap so what i did was went to our university surplus auctions and found some Herman Miller rolling carts and some under counter sets of drawers. I think i paid like $5.00 you ought to find out if you have any kind of university or city surplus auctions close by and check that out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

You could get two 44" lower toolboxes from HarborFreight for under $800. Even less if you keep your eyes peeled for a coupon. If you ditch the wheels and make it stationary, it makes an excellent base for a workbench. They are WAY better than the Craftsman etc boxes & WAY cheaper than a set of Lista's.

This is a long but good read on the subject with plenty of pics: Garage Journal

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I agree with Brady. Here's a link to the 44" cabinet from Harbor Freight.
    Ron Sloan

I caught a sale and coupon my wife dug up with Northern Tool and picked up the 56" Homak set for what seemed a good price after comparing. Totaled to about $1100. Of course I got black

I looked at the HD 56" base, I suspect that thing weighs about 180 lbs or so. The Homak 56" base comes in at about 400lbs, includes drawer liners etc... On sale, it costs less than the 56" base at Harbor Freight.

Brady,
    The 44" bases at Harbor Freight do look like a deal, I hadn't thought of removing the wheels and using a couple for a work bench. Might just have to do that!

Thanks for the input. Without the discounts I'd probably have gone with something from Lowe's but I think this was a decent deal.

/RB

I have a 52x62 Craftsman monster, it was a closeout and the biggest one I could find. I was haunting the Sears tool store by here for a long time before I found a good deal on what I wanted.
    If I were looking again, I'd be on Craigslist until I found something that'd work.

That said, drawer liners. They want a fortune at Sears. Lowes has rolls of drawer liner for 7 or 8 bucks. You can do a whole tool chest with a roll or two. The leftover stuff makes awesome work pads for rebuilding carbs or whatever. Keeps lots of parts from moving around on you.