Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Nova Color Paint

For decades, One Shot paints were the standard by which all others were evaluated. I used them for years and was one of their most avid supporters. In the mid 80's Steve Bermann came along and started making paints that were rivals of One Shot and he did some things that One Shot was either incapable of or unwilling to do. His Chromatic Paints were the best that I had seen. His company was later merged with someone else and the last of Chromatic was seen.

The quality of One Shot began to go downhill. They began to chalk and fade and there were drying issues with some colors. What we heard from the Mother Company was that nothing had changed, but we knew better. That's when I went looking for something else.

Gary Anderson introduced me to Porter and I was hooked. No more stink, no more sticky fingers, not more cleaning everything with solvents and trying to keep my hands clean. I was sold on waterbased paints, especially Porter because their deep colors did not have a transparent base and they actually covered. In addition, they didn't clump up over time and the last thimble full at the bottom of the gallon was as smooth and fresh as the first brush load when the can was new.

Then PPG came along and things began to change again. The reds didn't cover and the purple wasn't as purple as before. Even white was different.

Along the way, Sherwin Williams' Super Paint was a good alternative, but you had to buy a gallon instead of a pint or quart, and the deep colors were not as bright.

So now it looks as if this new stuff is going to be on the shelf around here. I hope that it is as color fast as folks say. The group of signfolks called Walldogs are using it more and more.

I suppose that the pin stripers will still use One Shot, although many are going to other paints.

To those sign guys that still swear by One Shot - you must know something that I don't.

One Shot has been good to our profession and donated tons of paint to various gatherings - for which I am grateful. I just can't endorse them any longer.

Joe, Thanks for the heads up. I sent a request for the color sample and asked if they have some sort of starter kit.

I also did some more research and found this : http://www.yelp.com/biz/nova-color-a...nt-culver-city

Paul Z

The first time you twist off the cap, dip a brush in, and make a stroke you'll be sold!

Make sure you order the proper version. Transparent, Translucent, or Opaque.

Joe

Joe,

Finally got around to ordering some Nova paint and should have it by the end of next week. I know I'm cutting it close for all my Christmas stuff but it has been a little crazy here. I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks for sharing this product!

Mike

One tip I got from a friend who does a great deal of airbrush work is to thin the paint for hand lettering or airbrush....
    instead of water you can use clear acrylic. "Future" used to be the brand name, but is now called "Pledge with futureshine". Same stuff. It's basically no wax, clear acylic. It's a great way to thin Nova.

Cool. I just found that I can drive to their factory store and check out what they have. I knew there must be some benefit to living in Los Angeles.

Not too sure about that acrylic medium as a thinner for Nova. Over on the CSA forum that was first floated but later some of the artists came back saying it doesn't hold up outdoors.

Me, I just use Nova's extender base because it's cheap. A quart will last a me good year.

Joe,

Don't know if I said Thank You for the heads-up on this Nova paint but I am loving it! I have been mixing and blending colors with excellent results. They are very easy to work with as well - even called me back to answer a couple of questions. I'll be posting pictures soon since Christmas is past and I can show some of this stuff.

Mike

Michael,

Thanks for the nice post about Nova. Like you say, it's in a class all to itself. There's absolutely noting on the market as bright, clean and covers as well. Hard to explain what's it's like but everyone I've turned on to has the same response as you.

For those first timers I'd suggest getting their extender base along with your order. When using the Critter it makes the flow better.

Another excellent product that goes along with Nova is Modern Masters UV Clear. Not sure if it comes in smaller quantities than a gallon. Since the Nova Color dries flat you may need some of this.

Joe