Thread: Foam Gear

Default Foam Gear

I made this after seeing one in the creative cnc forum my gear is smaller 23" in diameter we have an antique machinery show I go to so it will be interesting to bring it along. Its standard 2" insulation foam

Ended up making two, the first I put some minwax stain on which I have done in the past without issue but I put it outside and forgot about it, minwax stain and sun react with foam as I found out, though it kind of looks like it was buried for a hundred years, so a second was made I used a torch very lightly to make the edges pitted and worn.

On the second gear I used Flood waterbased deck and siding preservative mixed with powdered concrete pigment ( black and brown at home depot ) applied with a critter spray gun, gave it a second misting with just the brown for the rust effect, I also sprinkled iron filings in the finish be interesting to see what happens.

I put Sullivan iron works on it because we live in Sullivan county

The melted up Minwax one.

Brian, nice job. If you had told me the melted one it came from the "Allagash trains" , I would have believed you.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Brian,
    The second one looks the best...(or is it the worst), which make it the best? Anyway it looks the most realistic

What you need to do is take both of those to this show and cart them in on some type of material cart as if they are very heavy pieces then ask for help picking them up....
    I like that you have all these "recipes" in your head for these various finishes. They both are very cool but #2 looks like it's been sitting outside for 100 years

When people ask you who Sullivan Ironworks is, tell them it is owned by a conglomorate known as "Harnett Iron "Forgery" (get it?)
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Another Brian masterpiece!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Default nice

Brian very nice jog... should catch some eyes when they pick it up and it weighs near nothing.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Pretty cool, Brian. If you want a more realistic rusty steel look, I'd recommend Sculpt Nouveau Iron B. On the last coat (while wet) spritz on some Tiffany Green patina & watch the magic happen. It is uncanny. I'm pretty sure the Complete Sculptor stocks it in NYC.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I like the first one the best what color minwax was that you used? So you put it on the foam and just let it dry no ragging off the extra? Pretty cool I want to cut one today.

Very very cool Brian. I haven't tried the Iron B yet Brady but that's gonna change today. Took your advise and got it from the Complete Sculptor. Sure beats waiting for it to come clear cross country. UPS says it's out for delivery.

I just noticed the last picture and how you left part of the keyway there. Nice touch!

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nelson View Post
    I like the first one the best what color minwax was that you used? So you put it on the foam and just let it dry no ragging off the extra? Pretty cool I want to cut one today.
    Dan I used Minwax red Oak but it needs to be in the sun I have used it on foam before but it takes days to dry in the shop but will not eat the foam, I was impatient and wanted to hurry it along and thats when it happened it was around 45 min or an hour. the stain was sprayed on. I did spray brown concrete pigment mixed with clear acrylic after it was hard for rust highlights.

Brady. I will have to check out that paint if I get into it more this was just a fun diversion from my regular workload, though I am curious to see if the iron I added will oxidize in time.