Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to break copywrite laws...but

Default I don't want to break copywrite laws...but

I got a young guy who purchased a used shark cnc.... guess he wanted more than a desktop and the 2x4 shark was in his price range as a used machine. I was able to find the PP on vectric site. can I give or better yet sell him cut files generated for his machine from my vectric aspire and photovcarve software using the vectric patterns. His software stinks compared to mine.... chances are I b giving them away.

The shark comes with Vcarve pro didn't he get it with the machine. He can register it in his name with Vectric for a small amount

The Shark is USED guessing 5 or more years old. I did not recognize the software name when he told me over the phone. I got on shark site and noticed they do provide the vectric software today. Their older machines do not have a zero plate either and the router looks like a trim model. But it came with a probe. I e-mailed the folks at vectric and should have their answer soon.

Hey. My understanding of the copyright of graphics and artwork is you are not to resell the artwork by itself to others. You can create toolpaths and files for him to run on his machine with no worries. I do it all the time for customers that have a cnc but don't have aspire and or don't have time to create their files and artwork to cut. When you buy the artwork you are not buying the art itself, you are buying the right to use them yourself. If you ever sell your tools and or artwork you are suppose to not resell the artwork unless the buyer agrees to pay a change of ownership fee. At least that is how I understand it to be. I will try and find a copy of the copyright rules I save once. If you are still unsure it never hurts to contact them and tell the software company your concerns.

Not even close Glen!

If you don't own the copyrighted file, or if you haven't purchased the license YOURSELF, you cannot produce anything with the artwork in question.

Sending another person a cut file for artwork you pruchased a license for is the same thing as sharing your purchased file, and you cannot do it. It's the same as stealing.

Here it is in a nutshell... if you didn't create the original work, you cannot use it or share it. If you don't own a license to use somebody else's original work, you can't use it. And under no circumstanses should you ever share somebody elses work with anybody else, even if you bought a license to use it, EVER.
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Warning: IANAL

I think it depends on the license. If the license allows for "derivative works" then a cut file would be that and if allowed by the license, be within reason. Read the terms of any license carefully before doing anything out of the ordinary.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Guys: It sounds like he is asking if the use of a vectric post processor cut file for artwork that the customer brings to him would be OK. I can't see how he would have a problem with this....

In this case, I can not see that there would be a problem if he has a right to the artwork. The file would definitely be from a licensed version of VCarve Pro or Aspire, etc.... and the software was originally sold WITH the PP - so why would they have an argument????

I think we make these kinds of things too complicated.

I just recently had someone do a 3D file for me from their copy of aspire. The artwork was provided to me, and I have tacit permission to set this up ( and will only do this project for the benefit of the people who provided the artwork) .... it is the same situation where the person did a file for me from HIS copy of aspire and I will use it on MY machine.... where is the conflict on all of that? I do not see one... ( and like mr Coryat said: IANAL- so take that with a grain of salt....)

MGM

I can tell you this, from my own personal experience.

I have the Partworks (V-Carve Pro) and Cut3D software that comes with a ShopBot.

I wanted to carve some 3D wildlife scenes recently. Because I don't own Vectric's Aspire software, I needed somebody to do the modeling for me. I have a friend that has Aspire and was willing to help me out with some modeling, provided I purchased all of the 3D images that we'd be using.
    I could have him do the modeling using only 3D files that I have purchased, and I would do the toolpathing with my Cut3D software.

Wrong!

We checked with Vectric to see if they would have any problems with this arrangement, and they did. They explained because the modeling would be done in their Aspire software, that I would also need to own the Aspire software in order for our arrangement to work.

I wouldn't push your luck on any of this stuff. It's just not worth it.
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Interesting discussion. I have Aspire and although I'm still not using it yet my understanding is that it can export 3D in generic .stl format that is pretty much universal. So, say I want to use it to create 3D clipart of toads toenails (niche market) for sale, I'd have guessed that I could do this. Maybe not so?

For every guy here, you will get a differing opinion, and you know what they say about opinions don't you?

"Opinions are like A**Holes, everyone has one, and most of them stink!"
    I would think the ruling restriction would be with the creator of the artwork and not the program you use it with?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson