Thread: Brilliant HandiBot concept

Default Brilliant HandiBot concept

Only having a cutting area of 8 X 12 means for most jobs you need some sort of indexing or a long rack. Now the clever guy that made this I reckon must own an Incra positioner as this adaption is simply brilliant. Of course you would need a big bot to make the corrugations. Would'nt it be great to be young again spending every waking moment working this cutting edge stuff out? Of course the guys at Vectric cant be left out either as this would be heaps harder without their brilliant tiling concept!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Default Indexing

That would work for the desk tops. The wavy indexer could be cut out of aluminum. This way the desk top could be indexed up to any length.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

I used a wavy index like that to work 9 ft long sections of lite ply through my laser pass-through doors. If you think about your limitations too long you start to believe you are limited.

That's a clever solution to the small working area of the HandiBot. Looks like a great tool for mobile sign carvers.

Default indexer

after thinking about that concept it would be better to do a tooth design.

this way it could be accurately indexed down to even a 1/4 inch or less.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Mike we keep getting orders for very heavy slab signs around 3.5 metres long. Didnt design the shop for this so access is very difficult. Customers really like v-carve and it suits our rural mountain area, but we have to steer them away from this even though its far easier to make and I reckon lasts almost forever. The Handibot really appeals to us as we can go to the slab and get the customer involved in finishing as most work is community based on grants so there isnt a lot of margin. Reckon that the Handibot will dovetail well with those owning a Desktop or Buddy. Nobody seems to have got onto a tenoning or dovetail jig with it yet that I can see.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob,
    There are a lot of things i like about the Handibot and taking it to the job instead of bringing the job to you, as in your case of not having a big enough machine is good, but this is something that I have seen in the past that when you have customers who might be at your shop or in this case be there while you do a job, and see that it might only take 15 minutes to rout something and you tell that "that will be $50.00, thank you.."

They would have more of a tendency to say "you want 50 bucks for 15 minutes work"? And by having someone drop off material then come back the next day it doesn't occur to them to ask how long something takes...

In my eyes using a handibot to carve door hinge slots is no different then using a regular router...it is another tool you would use on a jobsite with way more versatility but i'm afraid some would balk at paying more for your specialized tools?

I think it's really cool and am contemplating one because on more then several occassions after i've made something to go in one of the houses i've had to come back and put it on the table and carve out that one outlet hole i forgot or something that needed precise cutting.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Yes the cost thing we have thought about. Just wish we could beblike Brian and stick to our guns on price. Sadly it introduces stress that we dont want. Whenever possible though Chrissy emphasises it takes longer to design something than to cut it!
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer