Thread: Portable Morising Machine

Default Portable Morising Machine

This guy is the Russian equivalent of Matthius Wandell! Absolutely brilliant construction and concept. Being as dumb as, I didnt have a clue how he was making a mortise without guide stops or sliding the thing, until I saw his drawings in video 2. Tilting the bit was real outside the square thinking. Lots of thought gone into this and I hope he makes a killing if he starts selling it. Great job for a HandiBot!!!

http://youtu.be/F0FpgdzR56c
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob...Ingenious copy of the Festool Domino......only a lot cheaper
    The Festool Domino 500 (the smaller unit) retails around $1400 here in Aus. So this home brew version certainly can save you money but is it as accurate, versatile and easy to see as the Festool unit????

I wonder if he used a CNC to cut his parts?

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

I have the Festool domino and use it a lot. Although that home brew tenon machine looks very smart, I don't think anyone who has used a domino will consider it a replacement. Kind of like comparing a genuine Lamello machine with one of the $20 attachments for an angle grinder they used to sell

I appreciate the job. Just wouldn't want to give up my domino! Of course it's not going to cost the same as you said.

I must lead a sheltered life Andrew and Mike as I had no idea it was actually a Domino copy. It popped up whilst surfing uTube (whilst on the exercise bike of course!) i just liked how he overcame the language barrier and you have to admit it is a really nice piece of work!
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    I must lead a sheltered life Andrew and Mike as I had no idea it was actually a Domino copy. It popped up whilst surfing uTube (whilst on the exercise bike of course!) i just liked how he overcame the language barrier and you have to admit it is a really nice piece of work!
    Dont get me wrong, it is very cool and well made. But, compared to the FEstool offering, very bulky and the cutter being so exposed kind of scares me

The Domino and loose tenons in general are very good ways to join wooden pcs together - fast, strong and excellent for so many situations. I still use a lot of biscuits as well, but of course they are no where near the depth and strength of a tenon for things such as chair joints, etc.

AJC

Andrew which Domino do you use...the 500 or the XL? If the former is it sufficient? The 500 is not cheap here at $1400 plus the loose tenons which are also quite expensive (can make them cheaper though). The XL considerable more expensive. At these prices you want to get the right model and have a real need!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Andrew which Domino do you use...the 500 or the XL? If the former is it sufficient? The 500 is not cheap here at $1400 plus the loose tenons which are also quite expensive (can make them cheaper though). The XL considerable more expensive. At these prices you want to get the right model and have a real need!
    Cheers
    The 500 (the xl didnt exist when I got mine). I can do up to a 10mm thick by 50mm long tenon. Plenty big enough for furniture - equal to 2 or 3 dowels (1/2" by 2") per tenon.

I mainly use the 6mm and 8mm in 40mm length.

The machine (500) costs just over $900 Canadian here. I paid more for my Lamello top30 machine. The larger Domino XL is $1350

AJC

Oh how nice it would be to pay the prices you guys pay in North America and Canada.......oh well, economy's of scale I guess

Cheers

Mike you could do what we did and buy a 25 amp transormer. Ours only cost $120 and was made in Australia. You just use a shipping agent to get around the USA export restrictions used by some firms. The downside is zero warranty but I have never made a claim on Festool.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer