Thread: Laser Engraver to Augment ShopBot

Default Laser Engraver to Augment ShopBot

I am interested in getting a laser engraver to augment my ShopBot work. Is anyone else using a laser engraver and how have you used it for your products or work. Also, what brand, model and wattage do you use or recommend please. Thanks.

Hi Peter,

I use a Universal Laser Systems 50W machine. Model M-300. It has a 12"X24" engraving area. I at times wish I had a larger table. My second machine will be much larger and the same power.

ed

Peter,

I use a ULS 25 (30 watt tube). It has a 11 X 17 inch table and a drop down front that lets long pieces stick out if needed.

I rarely use the full table and only used the drop down front once in 6 years.

I've seen some systems at woodworking shows that are targeted to scroll saw patterns. The latest one I saw would cut 1/4 baltic birch in a single pass at a good speed. It was listed around $12K.

Advice:
    Get the highest power system you can afford.
    Use a lens with a long focal length and get the air purge upgrade (cutting wood makes a LOT of smoke).
    If you buy a used system, make sure the drivers will work with XP. Mine won't so I'm stuck using Windows 95.
    Speaking of drivers, be sure you can use common 3rd party software (Corel Draw) and not the vendor's propriatary programs.

da

Thanks for the inputs - I use an Epilog Mini 18, 35 Watt at my full time job - I make tons of name and misc tags, retirement plaques, employee of the month, labels, etc and I have been looking for my own unit for home for some time now. I know I want a minimum of 35 Watts, preferably 45 Watts or higher and a minimum 12 x 24 table - preferably larger. The higher you go in watts - the price jumps by thousands. I think a pass-through feature would be good for larger items. I was just wondering what other folks have for units and what they are using them for in the workshop. Thanks,

Years back I had a 50 watt..ULS..I removed the top and turned the lens upside down and made a slide to do large sized imagery..it worked quite well..of coarse you have to invert the images before hand...

I have an Epilog Helix 45W. Bed size is 18 x 24. I have had it for 3 months and most of the work I do is plexi for sign shops that want a finished edge. I have also used it to cut small parts for hanging signs on displays.
    For the money the bed is a good size. The wattage is OK, I would like to have 60W, but again for the money this is a good compromise.
    I have also done pen engraving, wine glasses (I have the rotary attachment) mirrors, etc. It is a good add-on to my bot.