Thread: Notes in V carve Pro

Default Notes in V carve Pro

In the monthly Vectric projects the files always open with a small window full of helpful notes. My question is how do you do this? At the bottom it says to auto open insert "." at the start of the file. The only place I can see to insert notes is in the time estimate window BUT this dumbell cant get it to work! Tried looking in Help but I cant set how to search in there? This is such a neat idea as it forces you to remember and I would like to use it.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob,

Select Edit > Notes from the main menu.

Tim

Bob
    I don't know about this pgm but based on your words.."at the start of the file" that sounds like it means at the beginning of the .sbp file?

If you have a file that already has notes in it why not open it up in shopbot editor and read the top lines to maybe figure out what type of shopbot code you have to input to make it do what you want?

Maybe there is some instructions somewhere that opens a window that you then type your notes in and that is input into the sbp file?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    ITried looking in Help but I cant set how to search in there?
    The Help is a PDF file so it will be displayed using whichever PDF reader you have on your computer.

Most of them have a search box in the top right hand corner. Failing that pressing Ctrl and F or F3 usually brings it up.

Jack, the latest Post Processors for the ShopBot will put all the relevant notes (main ones as Tim indicated and the tool notes and toolpath notes) that can be entered into VCarve/Aspire into the SBP file. If you have the Display File Comments set in the SB3 VD settings then they will automatically be displayed as the file runs. I do this all the time as it's a great way of double checking things. I've also added info like the XY location and whether the Z is at the top or bottom.

OK - I'm intrigued - I'd love to do that too.

I followed Tim's advice - With V Carve pro open with a working file, it was very easy - latest version - Click Edit at the top left of your screen. At the bottom of the pull down box it simply says Notes. Click this, and the box opens explaining what to do and to begin your notes with an apostrophe ' followed by your notes.

From what I understand, this will simply show your notes at the top of the part file and can be read only if you open separately with SB editor, or can read as fast as SB3 scrolls past it.

Bob, sounds like you want a message box to open and wait for a keyed response before commencing with running the file.

As I understand it, the only way that will work is to open your part file separately with the SB Editor program and insert a new line that begins with the code:

MSGBOX(type your message inside parenthesis, like this, and it will appear in a small message window).

Is that right, or will using the Notes feature in V Carve Pro do that automatically?

Yay! we're learning programming!!!

jeff

If you have the Display File Comments set in the SB3 VD settings then they will automatically be displayed as the file runs.
    Thanks, Adrian - much simpler approach - I'll try that.

Jeff,

That's a period (.) to make VCP/Aspire open a design file with your notes displayed for viewing. It doesn't place those notes in the processed part file unless the Post Processor file has the needed line of code in place to implement it. Then, if you have 'Display file comments' toggled on in SB3, they will be displayed.

To edit your Post Processor, you'll have to read up on doing so. Go to Help/Post Processor Editing Guide in VCP/Aspire

A MSGBOX in your part file isn't for this application, but just an (') apostrophe is. An apostrophe followed with some text and with PAUSE will display a dialog with the text and an ok and cancel button.

See the programming handbook under Help in SB3.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    The Help is a PDF file so it will be displayed using whichever PDF reader you have on your computer.

Most of them have a search box in the top right hand corner. Failing that pressing Ctrl and F or F3 usually brings it up.

Jack, the latest Post Processors for the ShopBot will put all the relevant notes (main ones as Tim indicated and the tool notes and toolpath notes) that can be entered into VCarve/Aspire into the SBP file. If you have the Display File Comments set in the SB3 VD settings then they will automatically be displayed as the file runs. I do this all the time as it's a great way of double checking things. I've also added info like the XY location and whether the Z is at the top or bottom.
    Adobe Reader is kept up to date automatically yet the latest version does not have a search box. I find this really daft or am I expecting toooooooo much??

Thanks for the explanation on notes everyone. Believe it or not I looked through all the menus and somehow missed it. Just got new glasses as well!!! This is nothing about this feature in any of the excellent Vectric training videos.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer