Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plexi 3D

Default Plexi 3D

First a disclaimer, am not a Botter, but have always liked this forum, and don't discount the possibility of owning a Bot sometime down the road.
    That said, these can just as well be made with a Bot. Both are vectorart files that have been carved -3D, substracted mode. Roughing I use a .25 endmill, finish a .05 tapered ball nose, commonly used for 3D in wood.

1st one is a Jesus bust done in 3/8" plexi, not much room for depth with 3/8", but as you can see, it is possible. Used just about all the thickness I had available, came out very nice. Lettering was then etched with a diamond drag bit, and set in a custom base with a RGB strip.
    2nd was done in 1" thick plexi, plenty of room for depth with 1", probably went near .75" deep. Came out very nice, is about 12x8", sure to appeal to firearm enthusiasts.
    I have tried these in .5" plexi as well, did a very nice praying hands design, and I think .5 is ideal for these.

The normal caveats when routing plexi apply to these, slow RPM's as possible and high feed rates to avoid any melting issues. These are fun to make, open up new areas of creativity, and sell pretty well, certainly attract attention wherever they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug - Very cool stuff!
    Thanks for sharing - We appreciate the inspiration and description of methods you used.

jeff

Very nice work... did you make the base.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Jeff - Yep, no matter what machine is used we share at least 90% in common with methods, tooling, software, procedures ect. I have learned just browsing around here.

Eugene, yes I make my bases out of mdf with an appropriate sized slot, also have the slot stepped on the ends to keep it from sitting right on the light strip. The gun was pictured before I even made a correct base for it, I just set it over the slot of another base for the pic, in fact it is the 3/8 base for the Jesus bust, you can see it will no where near fit in that slot.

A few more recent works

looks like you got that mastered
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Love the last three. keep posting please. Scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I'm envious.. supper nice.. I will have to try that one of these days.

I do see something wrong with it...

You can send one to Jack and the other two to me and we will solve the problem... ( be in our collections) just joking supper nice.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Thanks guys, I'll post some more in the coming days including an Einstein, eagle and a skull, they are done but no bases yet.
    Most of these you probably recognize as vector art 3d, except the horse, I forgot where I got that one from, but I'm hoping to be making my own designs soon, working on a Marylin Monroe should be pretty sweet.
    I've also been experimenting on some of my many rejects flame polishing the designs with MAP gas to burn away the white haze, the 3d designs are then clear and really look like they are floating in the glass. MAP is so hot though its very easy to burn and ruin, so I'm treading carefully here.

I have some of these offered for sale at a buddies laser engraving booth at a flea market, the pics I took of the last 3 were from there. Big old black guy and super cool, talented with the laser too, sometimes he does 2d etches on the plexiglass with the laser and I bring in the base ,,, He said of the German Shepard "Damn, that thing looks so real I can smell its breath"

there is something pleasing about "dogbreath". I love the german shepard.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson