Thread: Sometimes, the simplest is best

Default Sometimes, the simplest is best

Trying to do ABC blocks for children with multiple disabilities from blindness thru autistic spectrum. Been going Nutso's with pocketing truetype 1" letters in various fonts(14),Raised in pockets etc., My Dad invited my Mom and all my aunts(16 children and 36 grandchildren between them) to a lunch for there opinions on what they would buy.On Weds. at the last minute I decided to use the scrap at the end of the maple board to just toss in one line text with a .25 down spiral, and on the other side the same thing in 90 degree vbit. We explained to the "Girls" what we were trying to do, showed them the competitions blocks, and then hauled out our prototypes. They looked at the 4 boards carved both sides and "That's nice""I kind of like this one" for a half hour. Then I took out the .25 and vcarved I had rush wet sanded at 6am and apologized for the finish and immediately, "THIS ONE" "OOH!" "no comparison, THIS one!" They all picked the vcarve, and even the same font with their eyes closed. Sometimes I overthink. This is the on they picked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default Women

Scott always listen to what women have to say. They do 90% of the buying. I always get Tina and other women's opinion on new product. If they say it will sale I make it if they say it won't I do away with it. I preach let your wife, girl friend mother etc judge your product if they would buy it it will sale.

WHAT YOU POSTED goes to show what I preach.

Thanks for posting
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Scott you had just saved yourself a lifetime of sanding if you standardize on vee carve! Have a look at any Vectric Monthly project and at the end Michael always mentions little 3M grinding disks you run in a Dremel. These things truly are the greatest thing since sliced bread and are super quick at removing any fuzz. A cheaper supplier than Mike suggests is Riogrande (wonderful company with a catalogue as big as a phone book - ideal toilet reading!).
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Well done, Scott!!!
    I agree with Gene 100%. I always go to my wife for input. Sometimes I hit her up for input right from design to finish.
    It's important to know what info I want when I go to her, though. I don't ask open-ended questions or ask for her to give me ideas. I'll pick some samples that I came up with and ask her which she likes best.
    I'll also ask her what woods work best together.
    She's fabulous at "tweaking". If I just don't like the look of something, I take it to her and she says "move this up a little bit and make this a little smaller" and we go from there. In no time flat it's perfect.
    You simply cannot beat a woman's input. Like Gene said, she's doing 90% of the buying. I'll bet you she's got a whole lot of input in the other 10%, too.

Still have to wait for the input next week from the two "Blind since birth" guys that are going to help us out,but if the vcarve is "as good as or better" as the others, it'll be a big "YAHOO",but we'll go with whatever they think would have been best when they were tots. Interestingly Milton said when he was young ADA braille was to0 small, in teens thru 40, it was just right, but now that he's getting older he wishes it were bigger again. Eugene and Scott, I ALWAYS listen to womens opinions or I later wish I had(The open ended question comment made me laugh). Bob, you're reading my mind. I was looking at the bottom of the pocket and thinking "How the Heck?" Thanks Was going to post that next week as I feel I'm posting too much. Going vcarve on that face would save us so much time we're going to need on the graphic faces it would be wonderful. Only 5 more faces to go, UGH!
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,
    The only problem with asking for a female opinion (especially a mother's) is that they are seldom honest

Case in point...as a kid did you ever do any woodworking or any other project for Mom and give it to her and she just's praises it, makes over it and tells you how beautiful it is, and how much she loves it? Then years later you look at it and think....."man, that's a piece of ****"...

They lie...they lie! but we love em for it...lol
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack,You don't know my Mom, It comes into her head and out of her mouth, no filtering, no thought(It's ok, she raised seven of us, so it's our fault). When I showed her my first carved letters in a pocket she said "is that all it does?" No "Nice" no "Wow". My Aunts and for that matter my mom are(were RN's or similar med field) and not really impressed by anything until they hit the vcarve. Mom tried to brush something off my face when I was young and then said in a loud voice in front of the entire congregation "Oh, It's a Zit". Definitely different mothering styles. I was proud as punch of the woodwork and detail of my house and the first time she saw it she looked at the cherry Subzero and said"nice fridge" I asked "anything else?" FROWN "Nice stove?" tact is a four letter word and she doesn't swear or drink. I asked when I was young "Mom, What's a floozy?" and she thought for a second and said"A woman who wears nylons to church" and until I was a teenager I Thought "Boy, there's more floozy's every year".
    scott P.
    Maine

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Jack,You don't know my Mom, It comes into her head and out of her mouth, no filtering, no thought(It's ok, she raised seven of us, so it's our fault). When I showed her my first carved letters in a pocket she said "is that all it does?" No "Nice" no "Wow". My Aunts and for that matter my mom are(were RN's or similar med field) and not really impressed by anything until they hit the vcarve. Mom tried to brush something off my face when I was young and then said in a loud voice in front of the entire congregation "Oh, It's a Zit". Definitely different mothering styles. I was proud as punch of the woodwork and detail of my house and the first time she saw it she looked at the cherry Subzero and said"nice fridge" I asked "anything else?" FROWN "Nice stove?" tact is a four letter word and she doesn't swear or drink. I asked when I was young "Mom, What's a floozy?" and she thought for a second and said"A woman who wears nylons to church" and until I was a teenager I Thought "Boy, there's more floozy's every year".
    I am still laughing here.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley