Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cribbage Board and Old Cuban Cigar Sign

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    How was the semi domed look achieved on the main lettering on the sign? Russ
    Russ knowing Scott. He used the two rail sweep, not 100% SURE BUT SCOTT WILL TELL YOU. SCOTT IS GOOD WITH THE 2 RAIL SWEEP. I HAVE SEEN HIM IN ACTION WITH THE TWO RAIL.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Nice work. I used to be able to get Sassafras boards. I loved it. The wood was nice. It was fun to say and the shop smelled of root beer. Who could ask for anything more?

Put the bard out in the sun for a couple of days and the cherry will darken faster

You still can get sassafras lumber. The saw mill that I buy from have boards of it as wide as 16 inches. up to 8/4 thick. on my dads farm there are several that are at least 36 inches diameter. I also gather young sassafras trees to make walking sticks out of. What I gather this winter, will air dry for three years before I cut them to length buff them and varnish them. The reason I gather my wood in the winter is so that the bark will stay on the walking sticks. I get $7.00 for each walking stick wholesale. You can gather other woods to make walking sticks out of. I also gather trees about the size of my lower arm to make wooden cups out of.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    How was the semi domed look achieved on the main lettering on the sign? Russ
    Russ, the small letters are "domed" as well, it's just not as prominent because of the size. Not as noticeable unless you're near the sign.
    I give all my letters some contour of some sort, I think it's a lot more interesting.

You can make all sorts of looks; domed, pointy, angled, or just plain flat, and any adjust how strong the effect is by using the "Create Shape From Vectors" function under the modeling tab.
    You just open the function, highlight the letters (vectors) you're working with, then set the shape, angle, base height (if you want one), and how you want the final height to work out.
    I generally set a base height so the sides are flat, then scale the model to an exact height. That way the sides will be flat 1/2 to 3/4's of the way up the letter and then the rest of the distance will be the depth of the shapeliness.
    Mess around with it for just a few minutes your eyes will light up once you realize the endless possibilities.
    It really is super easy and I think it makes everything look better.
    It's not just for letters at all. I use it to put pyramid points on lines and borders and all kinds of different stuff. Anywhere I want to make something just a little bit sexier.
    Hope this helps!!!