Thread: Cutting on a taper

Default Cutting on a taper

Hello folks,

Using a shopbot desktop with 4 axis.

I need to do a cut on a 13" round piece of wood on a taper, a 3 degree angle. In order to do that I need to that cut on the side of the wood with 90 degree bit and be able to index it.
    My question is... Since the cut needs to be clean and have several passes to reach a certain depth, what is the best way to go about designing it VCarve Pro?

I can't do a square because I just want a clean cut with an angle... I know I would probably have to use a profile toolpath correct?

Any ideas?

Here is a link to a video on YouTube that will give you guys an idea. In the video the piece of wood is about 4 to inches long. My piece would be longer. My friend Bob uses BobCad or mastercam and I user VCarve pro so even though the gcode might be about the same I know on how to make it happen using VCarve...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNzy5wrP6Yw

Just offset your vectors outward in VCP to emulate stepping down if it were in the Z axis. You'll most likely be machining incrementally 'deeper' in the Y axis. You'll offset the 'taper' by whatever depth you want to go each pass. You will have to compensate for the diameter of the bit, which should be entered into VCP as an end mill of the same diameter as your 90 deg bit. Practice on foam or scrap wood before you try it on the real deal.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Just offset your vectors outward in VCP to emulate stepping down if it were in the Z axis. You'll most likely be machining incrementally 'deeper' in the Y axis. You'll offset the 'taper' by whatever depth you want to go each pass. You will have to compensate for the diameter of the bit, which should be entered into VCP as an end mill of the same diameter as your 90 deg bit. Practice on foam or scrap wood before you try it on the real deal.

-B
    Thanks Brady. Appreciate the help.