Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sign help.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Thanks I like what you did by adding the bottom piece. I can envision the sigh hanging from a post.

I need to pick some brains a little more for proper V bits I only have 1 from the starter kit. I was under the impression the V bit dictated the depth but since I have only played a couple times with a V bit I really don't know.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

It could pay you to get some 3/4 diameter 90 degree bits as the 60 degree ones do cut pretty deep. V carving is certainly easy peasey!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I would go with the 90. However you can set the flat dept to be as deep as you want it.. Mr. Miller i recommend you get some cheap blue foam insulation and try it first. Also the dept i quoted can be less or more... But would go a little less.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Michael, just for visual, 3'x3'x2" walnut(closest I've got to cedar). font, carbon block bold capitals. starter kit vbit .5 90degree. top 3 rows 3" letters, bottom 6". top row no flat depth set(.608" depth of cut). Second, .5" flat depth, no clearance tool. Third .25" flat clearance with .125" straight clearance tool. Bottom, no flat depth set (.868" depth)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Since Mikes Logo is well established, there wasn't much room for the creative process here...

Eugene... I had a hard time envisioning your concept from your drawing but anything I tried with V-carving, I thought took away from the clean original lines. I thought a simple pocket stayed closest to the original idea.

BTW I created my vectors from Mikes logo on his web page and didn't spend any time cleaning it up.

SG
    I like what you did Steve I think it looks better without the V carving. I also like the shape of the sign Eugene created for my added text at the bottom. You guys are a lot of help thanks. I now need to figure out what material to use for the sign. I think I will hang it like they do from those wood posts you see some realestate signs hanging from. I saw a nice cedar sign post at Home Depot the other day that would work or I could just make my own.

Thanks again Mike.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    I like what you did Steve I think it looks better without the V carving. I also like the shape of the sign Eugene created for my added text at the bottom. You guys are a lot of help thanks. I now need to figure out what material to use for the sign. I think I will hang it like they do from those wood posts you see some realestate signs hanging from. I saw a nice cedar sign post at Home Depot the other day that would work or I could just make my own.

Thanks again Mike.
    Mike that is what Friends are for, This is why shop bot has a forum. For all of us to learn and to help each other. I agree with what Steve suggested. I suggested the v carve to get a response other than just agreeing with me.

Not sure how your drive is laid out but think on the line of two post with the sign hanging between them on a nice chain. If it was my choice and since you have nice red wood there I would go with some red wood. use sikkens stain, go to my post on sign help and read Joe Crumbly's post to me,, then go look at his post and learn how to do that..

thanks for letting all of us be part of your sign.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Mike

With your experience in cutting plastics, if I were you I would look into making the sign using color core plastic sign material. It is easy to cut, no painting or finishing is involved, and it should stand up to our rainy winters. If I had Joe's painting skills I would probably have a different opinion but very few of us have those skills.

I would suggest that you pocket cut around the letters rather than trying a v carve, it will make the letters stand out. However, removing that much material from one side will cause the color core to warp and you'll need to use a backing material.

I'm looking forward to the camp shopbot in a few weeks and seeing your new shop.

Dennis

Mike:

I would do this one out of White PVC and paint with Acrylic. For light pocket cutting, and I agree it looks best, you could get 2 or more out of one full sheet of 1/2" and make a double-sided quite easily with an aluminum square tube spacer that also is what you would hang it from.
    Of course, If you wanted to make it look more Northwest with your Orca Logo like much NW Indian art, Natural cedar just with some Sikkens and the letters and logo done in deep red and black would look cool too.