Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign help.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

By all means post the drawing you made Eugene thanks. I have been working on my shop we just put on a new roof on because the old one leaked. I am having new gutters put on and I had to strip the fatia board because the paint was peeling off so I needed to fix the boards so they can attach new gutters.

I have been very busy on my days off from my regular job which is operating a portion of the electric grid for the utility company I have been working for, for the last 20 years. I have 2 years left before I retire and run my business full time.

I just came off night shifts and start day shifts Friday. I work a rotating 12 hour shift schedule. The good part is I am off for 7 days every 5 weeks. My business started very small but has now grown to the point I have a hard time keeping up on my days off. I am starting a new guy to help me out. I hope to carve out a little more time for life soon.

I posted this on night shift the other night but I am on a couple days off so I have been busy outside trying to prepare for winter getting the last few things done before the constant rain sets in her in the NW.

I have been wanting to make sign for the end of my driveway I work on the files usually on night shift because I have hours of down time at night and take my lap top to work with me to help pass the time.

I am not trying to give my life story just explaining why sometimes it takes me a while to respond.

Thanks Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Default Mr. Millers Sign

Here is what I suggested to Mr. Miller for his sign. The sign was already designed I just gave Mr. Miller Suggestions on how I would carve the Sign out. some of the lines around object showed up not sure why. (thin lines)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Default Mr. Millers Sign

I would like to see some comments on what I suggested to Mr. Miller. The More that comment the better His sign will be. Mr. Miller normally Makes things for boats not signs so let all pitch in with our suggestions and comments or even questions.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

.pdf was pretty small, only stretched it to fit desktop and still lost a lot of definition. Using Eugene's ratio's this is what I got, except salmon? belly is vcarved .03 deeper than body instead of 1/2 depth of black. Letters vcarved as well. Using a laptop that is slower than heck and didn't want to change my defaults cause I'm drawing my stuff today so it's only on 3/4" board. I was having problems visualizing so did a "down and dirty". Lots of stuff I would change if I had a bigger drawing. I could see using a plunge ogee or pointed roundover in places. Back to my stuff and don't kick me to hard. Please!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Rushing to much today, forgot pics. Had to resize and convert to .jpg, Pain
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Since Mikes Logo is well established, there wasn't much room for the creative process here...

Eugene... I had a hard time envisioning your concept from your drawing but anything I tried with V-carving, I thought took away from the clean original lines. I thought a simple pocket stayed closest to the original idea.

BTW I created my vectors from Mikes logo on his web page and didn't spend any time cleaning it up.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Steve.
    scott P.
    Maine

Just noticed I imported the .pdf at 25% size. I think I'll quit now while I'm behind. Duh.
    scott P.
    Maine

Both look good. This has achieved the goal I set out to have happen. You used your mind to create what you saw and thought looked good. Now Mr. Miller can chose which style he wants or if he wants to blend both together.
    I like projects like this where several get involved and create something different but use the same pattern. It is a good learning lesson for all of us.

I commend both of you for taking time out and submitting your idea.

thank you.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Smile

Eugene, Seattle is about 2 1/2 hours north of here. We are on the Washington and Oregon State boarder across the Columbia river from Portland Oregon. We have a famous mountain in our back yard, named Mount ST Helens. It lost it's top a few years ago. You may have heard about it. Mike is right, that the rainy season is about to start, but that's what makes it the Evergreen State.