Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS Alpha BT48 with power stick and table supports question.

Default PRS Alpha BT48 with power stick and table supports question.

Here's a stupid question from someone just looking at getting a PRS Buddy 48: Is the HOLD-DOWN mechanical or do I have to look forward to plumbing a vacuum system from scratch for this particular machine?

What are you planning on making with your ShopBot?
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Standard equipment does not include a vacuum system. There are several options from using a Fein portable vacuum system, to using Universal vacuum motors like are on a home vacuum system (they actually work very well) to a regenerative blower for full table vacuum or a high pressure low volume system like Gast pumps for "puck" holdowns.

Most of us use a combination of hold methods, as with most things, somethings work better on somethings. I have a vac puck system for when I am doing edging on a parts, T Tracks for mechanical hold downs, screws for those peskier things and a pin nailer. I guess the only thing I have not used is the little kid next door ( I couldn't do it, he's my IT support !)

http://youtu.be/fOrkvPF0pro, check out this video from Donektools. com pretty neat i must say..

Ray:
    Note a couple things.
    First he's using that to hold thin light-weight material to be cut by a dragknife so as the parts are being cut there is little loss of vacuum and second, there is very little force exerted laterally against the material being cut. You could never use a vac that small for cutting wood or plastic with a larger bit and any cheap shopvac type vac will burn up quickly under heavier more extended use. The reason the Fein vacs work is they cool the motors with a fresh air supply rather than the air taken in from the vacuum.
    Lot's of folks tried shopvacs years ago. They all gave up on them. Last thing you want in your shop is a motor like that overheating. You're lucky if all it does is quit.

I'm mostly making just dados in 6' long X 4" wide boards; relief carvings on one side of these boards. Pattern cut-outs in PVC sheeting no wider than 48". Duplicating wood profiles for mouldings, etc. Pattern cut-outs in hardwood boards and plywood no wider than 48" and no longer than 80".

Gloria

I didn't know if a vacuum hold-down system was even an option when using a Buddy BT48 with a Power Stick.

Thanks Dave I haven't tried that cause I was a little leary on the vac he was using questioning how long it would last before going out. I use a fein vac in my shop and do not have a vac system. I just thought it was neat how he did it and was aware what he was using it for. Thanks for your input.

Gloria, a Vacuum type hold-down is problematic with the Buddy due to the moving table. This makes it hard to plumb in the piping and vac motors, etc. Maybe you should consider a fixed table machine. Having said that, I have owned a Buddy BT32 for five years and manage to secure everything I want to cut successfully. Good luck with your purchase decision....joe