Thread: pause problem and symmetry problem

Default pause problem and symmetry problem

hey all,

i'm sure these must have been addressed before but apparently my search-fu is not up to the task, so if anyone can point me to a thread that would be fantastic.

I have a prs standard from 2009, and outside of operator error it's run fine since it arrived. Lately I have two issues, one just weird and the other a real fabrication hiccup:

1) as i load nearly every part file, i get a "pause in file. continue?" dialog box after the machine starts up and immediately pauses. I click through and everything then runs fine. I've looked in the spb and sure enough there's a pause line i don't remember asking for but which keeps being inserted... any thoughts?

2) Recently i've run a couple of projects requiring matching inside and outside cuts, so that a positive shape should fit snugly into a negative space (cut from matching vectors with differing tool path assignments). Instead of a nice fit i'm getting no fit, with weird misalignments around the shape. I've changed bits and altered feed rates and can't get rid of the asymmetry. Are there unit value settings that can affect this?

thanks!
    andy

Andy...
    Have you checked for worn pinions lately?

SG

1) Sounds like you are using an older post processor. Have a look at the C:\SbParts\PartWorksPosts for updated posts - You will most likely want the one(s) that say something to the effect of: ShopBot_Arcs_Inch or ShopBot_Inch - The newest posts, TC_Inch are manual toolchange posts and require some additional information to use - so avoid these for now. Put new posts in your PartWorks 'PostP' folder. Restart PartWorks and see if they show up in the post processor drop down list box when you save out a toolpath.

2) UV should be the same on both XY. First, power up the tool and wiggle each axis up down & all around. Feel for slop or play. Make sure your bottom V-roller bearings are tight, but not too tight. They should make contact with the bottom rails and you should not be able to freely spin the V-roller bearing. Too tight & you'll roll forge the rails. Also, drop the X1, X2 & Y motors and re-seat them into the rack. Pinions wear & get sloppy after a while. Make sure your racks are greased properly.

On the software side of things, you should be adding some allowance to either the male or female part to give yourself some wiggle room when you fit these parts together. Even when symmetrical, parts may be so tight they will not inlay without a hammer.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks very much Brady. I'll have a look at both of those later this week.